Concertina Cruinniú

Just a mention for those planning to go, the weather is not likely to be as benign as it was last year. We have had a relentless battering by a succession of Atlantic storms. A pattern that is set to continue for at least another week.

Indoors it will be good though. I'll be around for at least some of it and probably will be up for a tune if the occasion arises and the mood is right.

Program below:

Program details

Just a mention for those planning to go, the weather is not likely to be as benign as it was last year. We have had a relentless battering by a succession of Atlantic storms. A pattern that is set to continue for at least another week.

You can say that again Peter! I had to close the shop yesterday afternoon because of the storm (gusts of up to 170 kph they said :blink: ) and the electricity going off. :(

The storm had died down, but the power was still off in Kilkee last night when I went to get the instruments for the exhibitions that I'm putting on for the Cruinniú (one at the OAC and another at the shop), which made it hard to find everything. It was off in Bealaha, Doonbeg and Quilty too along the way, so I was very relieved to see there were lights on again as I approached Miltown.

Still no mobile coverage today though.

But the weather forecast for the weekend looks more promising, well more "normal" anyway... :rolleyes:

You can say that again Peter! I had to close the shop yesterday afternoon because of the storm (gusts of up to 170 kph they said :blink: )...

That's just what I had like to have (at least partially) when I visited Clare in the 1990ies (admittedly in summer) with the weather being simply "nice" which made the cliff walk little dramatic.

In other words, guess you're happy to be able to make a living at such a place in general, aren't you? :)

Wish you all the best for the event!

I was very relieved to see there were lights on again as I approached Miltown.

Well, yes. The power only came back on here within the last half hour. And another storm tomorrow. Not as fierce though.

the weather being simply "nice" which made the cliff walk little dramatic.

Cliff walks, be it Moher, Kilkee or more towards Loop Head are dramatic enough in good weather. Recently we went down to the rocky shore at the foot of the Cliffs of Moher. Plenty dramatic on a good day..

The cliffs, and most coastal areas, are extremely dangerous and unapproachable during storms. Two weeks ago we drove by the Cliffs of Moher and could see the water spray 30 feet above O'Brien's tower.

Some of the more sedate moments during the past two weeks :

Doolin Pier:

Storms1_zps4b895083.jpg

Lahinch seafront:

Storms2_zps997689d0.jpg

Storms3_zpsac82803f.jpg

Edited by Peter Laban

Peter,

Your weather description gives me chills, since we finally had a warm day here in Texas today.

Enjoy the Cruinniu, and please let us know how it went. I couldn't go this year, which grieves me no end. Maybe next year. I'm pretty sure that the Friday evening session with Sean O'Dwyer and the six ladies of the "Mrs. O'Dwyer's Old German Concertina" project will deliver a great evening; I know there will be at least three German concertinas (including Mrs. O'Dwyer's) on the stage. It has been a few years since that has happened!

Dan

Sorry to hear you can't make it Dan, I was expecting you to chair tonight's event.

Meanwhile the next storm is kicking off, from the unusual east/southeast.

[edit:] I must add to that, that it was very windy for a short while this morning with snow and rain adding to the feeling of misery. It passed quickly though and in fairness, and considering the forecast was particularly gloomy, the afternoon turned out quite lovely so far. We're promised force ten winds again tonight though, and a lot of rain but we'll be indoors by then.

Edited by Peter Laban

It was nice to hear the old concertinas (there were two big German yokes) eventhough it was obviously very hard work to play them and several buttons were shed along the way.

Interesting to get the six ladies on stage, one of them said it felt like being in Gleeson's, ' you know like the six...(pause for thought here, realising saying the six stiffs or stiff six as some called them at the time could cause offense to some of the company) ..men.'

It WAS a lovely night. We're just back from the Three Duets concert, concertina and accordion, fiddle and flute. That was nice too. I am sure you'll eventually get the video of the night Dan.

I realised nobody here mentioned Chris Droney's Gradam Saoil by the way : Clare Champion article

Today turned out a lovely clear sunny day, ending in a clear full moonlit night. Which really meant I spent most of the day cleaning up the after effects of the storms. Which was fine. I may go back into town to see what's on the concertina trail. Looking forward to tomorrow's farewell concert with the harmonica players.

Edited by Peter Laban