Muirsheen Durkin

• 2 years later...

Kevin:

Do not allow some two bit genealogy company to rob you of your ancestory! The root of Durkin is NOT from the Irish word for Pessimist. The poorly researched pedigree companies are not only wrong but they insult every Durkin who ever existed.

Durkin is a Sept of the Dal gCais Clan (Dalcassian Clan). Durkin is also a Clan since it has Septs originating from it.

As described in the The Memoranda of Grants (see link below):

The Irish name of Dobharcon (Durkin) is the genitive case (a.k.a. possessive case) of Dobharcu, an “otter” and literally means “of an otter” or more appropriately in this case, "of the one who is named Otter". The names of animals were frequently applied to men at the time among the Celts. Dobharcon is pronounced: Dew-ar-khon. The bh sound is a ‘w’ and the kh sound is a k with air forced over the tongue. When Donoch uses O’h Dobharcon in No. 107 of the lineage below, it would have meant ‘of The Otter’, referring to No. 98.

The Durkins also are from County Mayo and the Sligo area east of Clew Bay in NW Ireland. That area would have had a lot of otters; probably both sea otters and river otters. That fact reinforces what I will explain here.

SINEALL, son of Casin and brother of Carthann who is No. 93 on the “Macnamara” pedigree (#1), was the ancestor of O’h-Dobharcon, anglicized Durkin (see below). The Macnamaras were Lords of Bunratty , County Clare

Here is the Durkin pedigree as described by John Hart in the book Irish Pedigrees or the Origin and Stem of the Irish Nation The link is listed below too.

No. 90 Connall Each-Luath )Irish ‘each’ is horse; Irish ‘luath’ is agile) or Conall of the Swift Steeds: his son; b. 312; He had two sons: 1. Cas and 2. Eana Arighthach.

No. 91 Cas, the elder son: a quo the Dal Cais or “Dalcassians” b. 347 had twelve sons:

1. Blad

2. Caisin

3. Lughaidh

4. Seana

5. Aengus Cinathrach

6. Carthann Fionn

7. Cainioch

8. Aengus Cinaithin

9. Aodh

10. Nae

11. Loisgeann, and

12. Dealbheath.

No. 92 Casin; son of Cas; Volume 1, Page 150 of O’Hart source below; Casin, the younger brother of Bladd, who is no. 92 on the O’Brien (Kings of Thomond) pedigree, was the ancestor of Macconmara; anglicized Macnamara, MacNamara and McNamara.

No. 93 Sineall, son of Cassan. Sineall of Munster had three brothers: 1. Carthann 2. Eocha who was ancestor of O’Grady, and 3. Cormac, ancestor of Clan Eocha

SINEALL, son of Casin and brother of Carthann who is No. 93 on the “Macnamara” (No.1 ) pedigree, was the ancestor of O’h-Dobharcon, anglicized Durkin (see below).

No. 94 Cillin (Irish for a ‘little cell’); his son a quo O’Cillin, anglicized Killeen

No. 95 Aodh: his son

No. 96 Banbhan (Irish “banbh is a suckling pig); his son O’Banbhain anglicized Hogg and Hogge

No. 97 Dubhlaoidh: his son

No. 98 Dobharchu (Irish dobharcu is an otter): his son; a Quo O’h Dobharchon (first use of the basis for the name DURKIN)

No. 99 Luchodhar; his son

No. 100 Orghus; his son

No. 101 Menmon Odhar; his son

No. 102 Cathan; his son

No. 103 Gormghal; his son

No. 104 Ceilceann (Irish ‘ceil’, to conceal; Heb. "chele," a prison) his son

No. 105 Padraic (Patrick); his son

No. 106 Donal; his son

No. 107 Donoch O’h-Dobharcon (DONOCH DURKIN); his son

Here are the sources for this research. Unlike the stupid geanealogy companies, I will gladly provide mine here:

Source: Irish Pedigrees by O’Hart, Volume 1, page 86, dated 1892, reprinted 1898.

Source: http://www.obrienclan.com, Clan of the Dal gCais

Source: http://www.araltas.com/features/milesius.html

Source: http://www.electricscotland.com/history/literat/memorand.htm, The Memoranda of Grants

It makes me so mad that they label all Durkins as descendants of "The Pessimist". Now you know the truth Kevin and all else who read this posting. Please tell your clan brothers and sisters. Spread the word.

Slan,

The Irish Geilt

The old Irish form is Mac Dhuarcáin which comes from the Irish word "duarcáin" meaning "pessimist." The simplified modern Irish language form is now seen as Ó Durcáin and to a lesser extent Ó Duarcáin. Someone posted that her mother's maiden name was Ó Duarcáin in the old Irish version. I believe that's incorrect. If it was her maiden name, it would appear as Ní Duarcáin shortened from Iníon Uí Duarcáin.
Edited by Geilt

The old Irish form is Mac Dhuarcáin which comes from the Irish word "duarcáin" meaning "pessimist." The simplified modern Irish language form is now seen as Ó Durcáin and to a lesser extent Ó Duarcáin. Someone posted that her mother's maiden name was Ó Duarcáin in the old Irish version. I believe that's incorrect. If it was her maiden name, it would appear as Ní Duarcáin shortened from Iníon Uí Duarcáin.

Do not allow some two bit genealogy company to rob you of your ancestory! The root of Durkin is NOT from the Irish word for Pessimist. The poorly researched pedigree companies are not only wrong but they insult every Durkin who ever existed.

Durkin is a Sept of the Dal gCais Clan (Dalcassian Clan). Durkin is also a Clan since it has Septs originating from it.

An entire clan of Irish pessimists does seem unlikely.

I'd more expect that in a tribe of modern Goths. ;)

As described in the The Memoranda of Grants (see link below):

The Irish name of Dobharcon (Durkin) is the genitive case (a.k.a. possessive case) of Dobharcu, an “otter” and literally means “of an otter” or more appropriately in this case, "of the one who is named Otter". The names of animals were frequently applied to men at the time among the Celts.

And I always thought the Otter Clan were American Indians (or native Americans, as they're known these days). B) But of course, there are Irish otters, too. :)

I went to my dictionary again, which confirmed that "dobharcu" means otter. I suppose I ought ter have thought to look up that spelling? (:o Unrepentant bad pun!)

It makes me so mad that they label all Durkins as descendants of "The Pessimist".

Why should that make you mad? What's in a name?

After all, the name of Kirkegaard -- the great Danish philosopher -- translates as "churchyard", or more colloquially... "cemetery".