Ninth Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but not in the South.

Chris

In that case I will go to North Ealing instead of the other one.

Well - while it's nice to take the scenic route I think that this game has gone on long enough, so let's kick things up a gear to.....

South Kensington

Yes, but not in the South.

Chris

In that case I will go to North Ealing instead of the other one.

Well - while it's nice to take the scenic route I think that this game has gone on long enough, so let's kick things up a gear to.....

South Kensington

And the seasons they go round and round

And the painted ponies go up and down -

We're captive on the carousel of time.

We can't return, we can only look

Behind from where we came

And go round and round and round

In the

Piccadilly Circle

game. :)

South Kensington

In the

Piccadilly Circle

It's confusing, all this going round in circles, but it has occurred to me that, with Edgar's Sore Point eliminated - he is responding to treatment in Paddington Hospital - that leaves the diagonal open for a sling-shot out of the Circle Line and straight to

Mornington Crescent

Mr Chairman, I'm sure that you will confirm the validity of the move.

Cor d'blimeys, that caught me on the hop. Sir, I am happy to do so. That was masterly.

Earlier in the game when the action was flagging I, perhaps incautiously, wondered if we had outstayed our welcome and that this should be the last game. Well, as we all know there was a deal of sparkling play after that point. I do think, however, that it would be inadvisable to let this fine series of games die simply of old age. Unless there are heated objections I think that next year's should be the last game. This would be appropriate as this will also be the tenth (or Aluminium) anniversary of the first game. So next year at this time I shall call upon David Corner to set the special rules and principles and make the first move in the 10th Annual Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent game.

The floor is now open for the post mortem.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

South Kensington

In the

Piccadilly Circle

It's confusing, all this going round in circles, but it has occurred to me that, with Edgar's Sore Point eliminated - he is responding to treatment in Paddington Hospital - that leaves the diagonal open for a sling-shot out of the Circle Line and straight to

Mornington Crescent

Gggaaahhhhgggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You beat me to it. I was too busy dusting the trophy cabinet with dreams of winning again!

Well played sir and well deserved. A fine move and a step up in quality from the agricultural play produced by some other participants (you know who you are! :P ).

I told Samantha about it and she didn't know what to say, though she's out on a date with her new beau later so maybe he'll rise to the occasion?

South Kensington

In the

Piccadilly Circle

Mornington Crescent

I'm in doubt whether I have to blame my most recent move for having cleared the way..., as I had thought myself safe due to not keeping up-to-date with the developments at Paddington Hospital. Won't be that careless next year, I promise...

For now I bow to the superior player!

Cor d'blimeys, that caught me on the hop. Sir, I am happy to do so. That was masterly.

Earlier in the game when the action was flagging I, perhaps incautiously, wondered if we had outstayed our welcome and that this should be the last game. Well, as we all know there was a deal of sparkling play after that point. I do think, however, that it would be inadvisable to let this fine series of games die simply of old age. Unless there are heated objections I think that next year's should be the last game. This would be appropriate as this will also be the tenth (or Aluminium) anniversary of the first game. So next year at this time I shall call upon David Corner to set the special rules and principles and make the first move in the 10th Annual Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent game.

The floor is now open for the post mortem.

Chris

Gggaaahhhhgggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You beat me to it. I was too busy dusting the trophy cabinet with dreams of winning again!

Well played sir and well deserved. A fine move and a step up in quality from the agricultural play produced by some other participants (you know who you are! :P ).

I told Samantha about it and she didn't know what to say, though she's out on a date with her new beau later so maybe he'll rise to the occasion?

Mornington Crescent

I'm in doubt whether I have to blame my most recent move for having cleared the way..., as I had thought myself safe due to not keeping up-to-date with the developments at Paddington Hospital. Won't be that careless next year, I promise...

For now I bow to the superior player!

Thank you for your kind remarks.

It's just a matter of keeping a clear head to find a way through the confusion.

Of course, generating confusion is a fundamental part of the game.

I look forward to taking part in next year's game. assuming that I'm still allowed, and not restricted to here in Glasgow!

Meanwhile, there's the discussions about the effect of the Edinburgh trams on the local game of Morningside Crescent :unsure:

At last, the trams are running along Princes Street - just testing at the moment, but the passenger service is due to start next month.

Noted, Rod. Anyone else want to warm the place up a bit?

Well, now that I've finally ploughed through the body of rules which filled a range of, what was it, 10 or 12 moving boxes, I'm quite itching after the benefit from all the night work (which had unfortunately not been granted me this time).

Well, now that I've finally ploughed through the body of rules which filled a range of, what was it, 10 or 12 moving boxes,

Would that be the 1983 abridged edition that includes the controversial Whitsunday exemption clause in volume 19 appendix 23.7c?

Well, now that I've finally ploughed through the body of rules which filled a range of, what was it, 10 or 12 moving boxes,

Would that be the 1983 abridged edition that includes the controversial Whitsunday exemption clause in volume 19 appendix 23.7c?

Well, abridged it certainly was, otherwise it wouldn't have come in just a few of these handy boxes, Actually I don't recall the clause you mentioned, rather concentrated on the Easter egg hunt variant which would have allowed these cunning moves like sidestepping - if only this year's game would have persisted long enough... :unsure:

It's unlikely unless Mr Sailor is a very rich man. When the error in the clause was spotted all unsold copies were pulped and the remainder went into private collections. I saw a copy sold at Sotheby's recently for 25 million yen (or about the price of a Jeffries C/G in Japan).

Chris

Dammit! I never got to make a single move! Caught up with fraught connectivity problems having got sidetracked on the Post Office underground. Sigh...

A common mistake Irene & only resolvable by the application of the appropriate postage. With the escalation of stamp prices in recent times few can afford the fee so this trap has become ever more deadly year on year. We can only hope that plans for a museum go ahead reducing the escape charge to something that can reasonably fit onto a credit card.