Ninth Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game

I'll make an eastern diversion toWest Ham

Does moving east to a place with west in the name give rise to any complications?

A fair question and one which in recent weeks has been much on my mind. Quite honestly I think it only matters if Bateson's is in play. However I would welcome other opinions before I get definitive.

Chris

I'm terribly sorry but your questioning leaves me unable to make a metacommunicative statement...
However, a move from almost Essex to almost Sussex (thereby retaining the "West" labeling) might ease the situation, thus I play

West Croydon

even if this means taking the Overground once again...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I'm sorry, Woody. Stations on the projected HS2 line cannot yet be allowed.

Chris

In that case I will have to invoke Harrington's bike shelter shame. This, as we all know, commemorates Professor Harvey Harrington's highly embarrassing misinterpretation of Professor Mary Smythes attempts to explain the Everett's Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics. The exact chain of events that started with an exploration of non-collapsing wave-forms and ended with Harrington handcuffed to the said bike shelter sans son pantalon have never been established. Certainly his claim that he was transported through a series of parallel universes seems unlikely. However, within the rules of Mornington Crescent it does permit one to take a diversion through parallel planes so I'll be off to Hobbs End which featured in Quatermass & The Pit and hence is obviously real somewhere in the multiverse.

I was about to play a move today and then realized that because it was Tuesday yesterday, that the short rules only apply and from the 2nd turn in reverse order during March. Further confusion reigned when I remembered rule 7b: All Spanish moves are disallowed except crossovers and double takes. Added to which, because it is Wednesday, I have avoid all surface lines that back onto Mrs Trellis's home between 7pm and 7am. Any assistance is clarifying the above, appreciated.

Chris

I think, Chris, that you are forgetting that Hobbs End is purely fictional (and represents Woody's usual daring but risky play). Also the precise wording of rule 7b has changed at least 10 times in the last 15 years (I had to check myself on the current wording). Blue Eyed Sailor is correct, but only in areas bordering the Baltic, otherwise the current wording is All Spanish and Portuguese moves are deprecated except crossovers and double takes." I hope that helps.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

I think, Chris, that you are forgetting that Hobbs End is purely fictional (and represents Woody's usual daring but risky play). Also the precise wording of rule 7b has changed at least 10 times in the last 15 years (I had to check myself on the current wording). Blue Eyed Sailor is correct, but only in areas bordering the Baltic, otherwise the current wording is All Spanish and Portuguese moves are deprecated except crossovers and double takes." I hope that helps.

Chris

...and of course 7b (amendment 5(i), Helsinki '74) "the Gibraltar anomaly" results in Spanish diagonals being wild for moves originating from fictional and mythic stations on Wednesdays and Thursdays in Spring months with an "R" in but no double full moon (unless of course, for reason's unknown, you happen to be a Dutch woman).

Edited by Woody

Chris, I seem to recall rule 7b as follows:

"All Spanish moves are allowed except crossovers and double takes."

If I should not be mistaken by this, would this solve your current problem?

Thank you, Wolf. It seems it would. Also, I seem to recall Chris Timson, some years ago, cunningly deploying a Jenkins reverse, or was it Junkins?. In which case I will backtrack overground from West Croydon to Whitechapel where there is plenty of scope for further lateral play.

Chris

Lawks a lordy Mary Poppins - let's all go to Whitechapel

I feel like playing

Whitechapel

both Circle and Overground, just in order to add sort of ambiguity to the game.

Thank you, Wolf. It seems it would. Also, I seem to recall Chris Timson, some years ago, cunningly deploying a Jenkins reverse, or was it Junkins?. In which case I will backtrack overground from West Croydon to Whitechapel where there is plenty of scope for further lateral play.

Chris

A third visit to Whitechapel has exacerbated Edgar's Sore Point.

I'll need to take him without hesitation or deviation to St.Mary's Hospital at Paddington

Lawks a lordy Mary Poppins - let's all go to Whitechapel

I feel like playing

Whitechapel

both Circle and Overground, just in order to add sort of ambiguity to the game.

Chris

A third visit to Whitechapel has exacerbated Edgar's Sore Point.

I'll need to take him without hesitation or deviation to St.Mary's Hospital at Paddington

In this case I'll have to wait until 4:50 before I shall make my move to

Elephant and Castle

which will leave lots of choices for further lateral moves open.

In this case I'll have to wait until 4:50 before I shall make my move to

Elephant and Castle

which will leave lots of choices for further lateral moves open.

Nice try but you're fooling nobody - "further lateral moves" my bottom!!! :D That move leaves you one diagonal from Mornington Crescent!...... unless of course some ignorant git "accidentally" blocks you by playing Latimer Road :P :P :P

In this case I'll have to wait until 4:50 before I shall make my move to Elephant and Castle which will leave lots of choices for further lateral moves open.

Nice try but you're fooling nobody - "further lateral moves" my bottom!!! :D That move leaves you one diagonal from Mornington Crescent!...... unless of course some ignorant git "accidentally" blocks you by playing Latimer Road :P :P :P

Damned! Thought nobody would catch me doing that... But I will finally get there, even if it should take me some real odd moves.

For now, it's a knight's move to

Knightsbridge.

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Damned! Thought nobody would catch me doing that... But I will finally get there, even if it should take me some real odd moves.

For now, it's a knight's move to

Knightsbridge.

Knightsbridge again!! :o

This time, with the aid of Eric Coates, I'll take a Knightsbridge March round his London Suite and dance a tarantelle in

Covent Garden

That should disrupt a few more laterals!

Mr Chairman

Point of order - can I play rule 123D(ii)(E)-56?

I find myself at Downtown Crossing in Boston, Mass.

My interpretation of this rule is that I'm permitted a single off-shoot diversion with reverse and inclined slope per 30 plays?

Is this correct?

Does it apply trans-Atlantic (as per the Franklin addendum)?

Edited by SteveS