Ninth Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game

Well, this sudden flurry of play is most gratifying. Keep it up, lads, keep it up.

Chris

Yes - but some of the moves are a bit Hackney[/size]-ed (overground) for my taste

We were all the while longing for the likes of you to get us underground again... :)

Ah yes - indoors, in the shadows, underground - the natural habitat of the MC player. See them squirm when they are dragged, unsuspecting, into the harsh light of day. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - but some of the moves are a bit Hackney[/size]-ed (overground) for my taste

We were all the while longing for the likes of you to get us underground again... :)

Ah yes - indoors, in the shadows, underground - the natural habitat of the MC player. See them squirm when they are dragged, unsuspecting, into the harsh light of day. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Let's go down into the depths under

Leicester Square

That can't be too far from our final destination, if someone can find the correct combination of laterals.

Let's go down into the depths under

Leicester Square

That can't be too far from our final destination, if someone can find the correct combination of laterals.

Sorry for my having to remove from there heading for

Goodge Street,

however I avoid ascending to the renowned sunny surface...

Then I'll sit in the sun and play my concertina, and maybe drink a beer or two - but most people have to work on such a beatiful day - so it may Turnham Green with envy. :P

Edited by SteveS

It's not widely known that Turnham Green used to be called Turnham Blue (a name acquired during the fiercely cold winter of 1683 - 84). It was Wheatstone's close friend Michael Faraday who petitioned Rowland Hill, the first Postmaster General, for the name change to Turnham Green precisely in order to facilitate contra diagonal moves such as the one so elegantly deployed by SteveS.

So much history is encapsulated in this game that it is worth a lifetime's study.

Chris

It's not widely known that Turnham Green used to be called Turnham Blue (a name acquired during the fiercely cold winter of 1683 - 84).

You are Sid Kipper, and I claim my £10.

Then I'll sit in the sun and play my concertina, and maybe drink a beer or two - but most people have to work on such a beatiful day - so it may Turnham Green with envy. :P

Happily, it is a weekday, but further down the line, had it been a Sunday, it definitely would have been enough to a make all Parson's Green with envy, as well. Fortunately, due to a misconstrued twerping of the giggles, such a manifest clerical error was swiftly and thankfully avoided.

Chris

It's not widely known that Turnham Green used to be called Turnham Blue (a name acquired during the fiercely cold winter of 1683 - 84). It was Wheatstone's close friend Michael Faraday who petitioned Rowland Hill, the first Postmaster General, for the name change to Turnham Green precisely in order to facilitate contra diagonal moves such as the one so elegantly deployed by SteveS.

So much history is encapsulated in this game that it is worth a lifetime's study.

Chris

On a closely related note let's go shopping down "The Blue" which 250 years ago was the Green until London sprawled all over it. To get there we need to go to Bermondsey

Chris

Sir, a scholarly and astute observation.

You will have recognised that I played 12(a)(i)(D)(II)-1 which governs the application of the contra diagonal. Further, had I played 12(a)(i)(D)(II)-2 (which permits axial rotation on the contra diagonal), then I'd have landed in Nid. Determination of the correct rule to apply was undertaken by judicious analysis of the previous moves.

We have much to thank our forebears for when playing the game.

Edited by SteveS

Be aware that after Helsinki '06 the numbering has changed and 12(a)(i)(D)(II)-1 is now 12(a)(i)(D)(II)-2 while 12(a)(i)(D)(II)-2 is now 12(a)(i)(D)(II)-1. This doesn't affect play, of course (except during August, obviously).

Chris

Edited to note that this is seemingly my three thousand three hundred and thirty third post on this forum. Half the Number of the Beast, times ten, plus three. Were I a player this conjunction would allow me to dart a blindsider pretty well at will. Probably a good thing I'm the Chairman, then :).

Edited by Chris Timson

Edited to note that this is seemingly my three thousand three hundred and thirty third post on this forum. Half the Number of the Beast, times ten, plus three. Were I a player this conjunction would allow me to dart a blindsider pretty well at will. Probably a good thing I'm the Chairman, then :).

Three is a special number in masonic lore, so I have heard. ;)

Do we now need a special handshake to make progress?

Well, this is becoming interesting, I scent victory in the air. A simple diagonal pass to..

Kilburn High Road.

Anyway, I'll nip over to

Golders Green

Anyone thinking of playing Finchley Central from here will have to pay 2/6 to the chairman.

I feel like playing

Whitechapel

both Circle and Overground, just in order to add sort of ambiguity to the game.

Hmmm - we seem to have slipped seamlessly from puns to shapes, in which case I'm compelled to go to the Oval

Hmmm - we seem to have slipped seamlessly from puns to shapes, in which case I'm compelled to go to the Oval

I'll make an eastern diversion to

West Ham

Does moving east to a place with west in the name give rise to any complications?

West Ham

Does moving east to a place with west in the name give rise to any complications?

A fair question and one which in recent weeks has been much on my mind. Quite honestly I think it only matters if Bateson's is in play. However I would welcome other opinions before I get definitive.

Chris

West Ham

A fair question and one which in recent weeks has been much on my mind. Quite honestly I think it only matters if Bateson's is in play. However I would welcome other opinions before I get definitive.

Chris

I'm terribly sorry but your questioning leaves me unable to make a metacommunicative statement...

Edited by blue eyed sailor