Stick-On Velcro - Any Problems?

Ray

I've so far avoided using stick-on velcro on my concertinas (for mics, etc) but I know a lot of people find it convenient.

Any problems with the adhesive on the tina's surface? I'd be using it on a metal-ended and a wooden-ended instrument, and I don't want to cause any permanent damage. If you remove the velcro, do any sticky remains clean off OK and the leave the surface as was?

Thanks,

Ray

I have used this type of velcro for costume making for several years - usually quick fixes. I have noticed quite a lot of variation in terms of powers of adhesion and also smell (although I do not make a habit of sniffing needle craft accessories!) - which suggests to me that different manufacturers use different adhesive compounds. Those which are not water based (?most) are likely to require some sort of solvent to remove adhesive traces when velcro is removed - I have noticed such traces left on smoother fabrics. To clean this up is likely to require a solvent based product which is also likely to attack lacquers, wax finishes etc. I have also noticed that when such velcro is pulled away from fabrics such as velvet it usually takes some of the velvet with it - this suggests it might pull bits of varnish away with it.

That said, if the concertinas in question are seen primarily as working instruments - as opposed to museum exhibits - then a certain amount of wear and tear might be expected and there are restorers out there who can refinish instruments.

Perhaps someone has experience of a specific brand of inert velcro?

Why not stitch the Velcro through the holes in the fretwork? You can take it off later by cutting the thread.

It will mean some disassembly (and reassembly, of course), but this shouldn't be too hard in most cases.

Why not stitch the Velcro through the holes in the fretwork? You can take it off later by cutting the thread.

It will mean some disassembly (and reassembly, of course), but this shouldn't be too hard in most cases.

I've always found a short loop of knicker elastic threaded through the fretwork (with tweezers and no disassembly) is more secure than velcro. In fact, I tend to adopt a belt and braces approach and use both but it's the elastic that does the job. Doesn't look too cool but the mics don't fall off.

I forget what the specific name is, but I've been using a type of velcro (actual Velcro brand - I remember that much) that's marketed as being removable - for sticking on walls and such without damaging the paint. Works fine for my 'tina mics, and seems to be gentle on the finish. I got it at an office supply store.