Which Is The Oldest?

DaleR

Stephen,

Thanks from me, too!

Interesting that the instruments at the bottom of the patent drawing look remarkably like the Japanese sho or Chinese sheng, except that the mouthpiece is on the end of the wind-chest rather than the side.

Are the organologists still of the opinion that we Europeans got the idea of free reeds from the Sino-Japanese culture? This early drawing would tend to support that theory.

Cheers,

John

• 1 year later...

I hesitated to state it outright in my Paper (though I wish I had!), but the 1930's claims for Buschmann as the inventor of the accordion and/or the harmonica are now dismissed by researchers/academics, in Gemany and elsewhere, as "Nazi propoganda" - since Demian, though he lived and worked as an organ builder in Vienna, was Armenian rather than Aryan.

Dear Stephen,

I'm interested in Demian's history, can you point me to sources about his background? Just his name gets reprinted (with different spellings and errors), but not much more about him. I have copies of the patent which were available online for a while, but little beyond that.

Any suggestions where to find research on the Buschmann history would be very helpful as well.

Thanks much.

<<Concertina or piano accordion...which is the oldest??!!!>>

Hah! Thought as much. To many people, "accordeon" means only piano accordeon. Maybe someone should do a study of the evolution of the names. Isn't it the case that early concertinas weren't called concertinas immediately? Don't answer that - I'll read Stephen's paper.

Edited by chas