Northeast Concertina Workshop?

jdms

All mention of the NCW seems to have vanished from the Button Box website--or rather, the page for last year's workshop is still there, but there's no longer a link to get to it. Is this event no more? I tried searching the forum and didn't find anything referring to a workshop (or lack thereof) this year--true, the announcement hasn't generally been out by this time, but there's usually been at least an instructors list up...

We, that is The Button Box, decided to give the Northeast Concertina Workshop a rest, at least for 2014. We haven't decided on future years. It was losing money - not a lot, but considering how much effort it took we thought there might be a better way to promote the concertina.

If we host a workshop in the future, I think we'll try a different format. Past workshops have had a very few classes filled in advance, while most others had too few participants to break even. Perhaps we were trying to provide instruction in too many styles, or for too many systems? Your suggestions are welcome.

I always liked that the NCW catered to all systems and styles (or as near to all as it could get), but I expect it's easy to get spread too thin...and being a harmonic/English-style Anglo player, I was only interested in a few of the classes offered, however much I may have appreciated the range available. I'm sure you're already considering the idea of smaller workshops aimed at particular subsets of concertinadom--Bertram Levy's workshop in 2012, which I found enjoyable and valuable (more so when I manage to carve out regular practice time) comes to mind.

And Doug, any time you want to poll the community about other ways of doing workshops, you know a lot of the potential attendees are here - feel free to use C.net to check on interest and ideas. I certainly appreciate all the effort and opportunities at past NEC workshops; I believe I made it to four of them (and remembered to preregister three of those times!).

Ken

Having gone to one of these wonderful NE workshops once in the past, and hoping to attend another in the future, it is sad to see them put on the back burner. There are so few venues on this side of the pond for all concertina systems.

For those interested, our east Texas gathering at the Palestine Old Time Music Festival is on again this year. Here is a link to information about it. This year we will be visited by Ann (Droney) Kirrane, a very fine Clare player who we have coaxed into the pineywoods of east Texas. We always have attendance from Anglo, English, and several kinds of duet players, and the more experienced of them hold workshops on their various systems. The weather is usually wonderful, with the spring flowers out and about. There are numerous concerts of old time (and this year, Irish) music, and endless opportunities to play in friendly jam sessions.

Logistics are straightforward; the easiest fly-in is to Dallas-FortWorth airport, from where it is a 90 minute drive. Assistance in transport can otherwise usually be facilitated with advance request. Numerous inexpensive hotel accomodations are available, as is camping (tent and RV).

Send me a PM via this site if you are thinking of attending; we have a mailing list where confirmed attendees get pre-sends of the workshop tunes.

Let's hope the NE workshop gets going again!

Cheers,

Dan

Edited by Dan Worrall

• 3 weeks later...

......this will not affect the autumn Squeeze-In, will it?? I do have the 2014 poster all printed for that, hoping that I will finally be able to play with other concertina aficionados.

It shouldn't - the Button Box hasn't run the NE Squeeze-In for several years now.

......this will not affect the autumn Squeeze-In, will it?? I do have the 2014 poster all printed for that, hoping that I will finally be able to play with other concertina aficionados.

It shouldn't - the Button Box hasn't run the NE Squeeze-In for several years now.

Just to be clear: The BB no longer runs NESI but others (a volunteer committee) DO.

Just to be clear: The BB no longer runs NESI but others (a volunteer committee) DO.

Here's the Squeeze-In web page: http://squeeze-in.org .

Acadia Trad School in Bar Harbor Maine will be hosting a week of Concertina Classes with Padraig Rynne as the instructor. The concertina program runs June 30 - July 4th at College of the Atlantic campus as part of the Acadia Trad School's week long program. Check out the web site for more informaiton.

http://acadiatradschool.com/ you can also follow acadia trad school on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AcadiaTradSchool