Chim Chim Cher-Ee

Please tell us something about your concertina.

I don't think there's very much to tell Mike, and I don't know very much. It's a standard Wheatstone english treble, circa 1930, number 32453. I bought it in London in 1979, played it a fair bit for a few years in a basic style (melody line), then for many years just played it off and on until fairly recently. When I got it I had Steve Dickinson tune it and he also changed the springs to light ones so it's quite easy to depress the buttons. And fairly responsive but some notes less so. Richard Evans also tuned it, quite a few years ago now. It does need tuning again but I can't bring myself to part with it for any length of time. I'd prefer a more mellow tone for what I'm doing now. In time I'll be getting a wooden ended one.

I bet you'd step in time! :D

There's not much rhythm on a power blower........Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! But I also do have trouble with timing on the concer, usually speeding up is the issue. It's hard, for me anyway, to keep good time just playing solo without some kind of rhythm backing. I've done a few other tracks during my last recording session which I'll eventually upload. You might detect a few wobbles on some of them.

I bet you'd step in time! :D

There's not much rhythm on a power blower........Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! But I also do have trouble with timing on the concer, usually speeding up is the issue. It's hard, for me anyway, to keep good time just playing solo without some kind of rhythm backing. I've done a few other tracks during my last recording session which I'll eventually upload. You might detect a few wobbles on some of them.

I know this speeding-up disease all too well...

Anyway, your inspirational recording has - after repeated listening which I quite enjoyed - prompted me to a.) play the tune (in the different key of a minor, which would suit my singing better too) myself and b.) watch this lovely movie again yesterday, which definitely made our Saturday evening... :)

Thus thank you for your post Steve!

Best wishes - Wolf