Sign in to follow this  
Don Taylor

Testing Image Hosting On Flickr

I used to use Google Picasa Web albums to host images for use in forums, but since they integrated it into Google+ everything image I post on a forum winds up on my Google+ (aka. 'the social network that nobody wants') site and is shown to everybody when they log in to Google+

This is a test of Flickr as an alternative, but I am not sure if this image link will survive for any length of time.

If anybody else has a recommendation for an image sharing site suitable for hosting images for forums then please let me know.

12017676333_7cfd5ec5cb_z.jpg

Well, that (direct linking)is apparently against Flickr's Terms of Service.

Here is another test, this time from Dropbox - not sure about Dropbox's TOS, but we will see:

IMG_5295.jpg?_subject_uid=369636&w=AABmX

I will try Photobucket next ...

OK, the same image again this time from Photobucket:

IMG_5295.jpg

Photobucket does have a 'Direct' link option (which is what I used) so this must be OK with their TOS.

I think that I will stop now and have a beer.

Don.

Edited by Don Taylor

I used to use Google Picasa Web albums to host images for use in forums, but since they integrated it into Google+ everything image I post on a forum winds up on my Google+ (aka. 'the social network that nobody wants') site and is shown to everybody when they log in to Google+

A non-squeezer friend had a similar problem with Picasa, though not quite the same. Suddenly, every time she went to use Picasa, it tried to force her to sign up for Google+ -- which she refused to do, -- and she couldn't get her images into Picasa, at least not using the same controls as before.

What eventually worked for her was to uninstall Picasa and then reinstall it via a fresh download. We have no idea why that worked, but

• Picasa is now working for her the way it did before.
  • She hasn't lost any of her pictures either from her computer or from Picasa's remote storage (which were not identical).
  • She hasn't had to sign up for Google+, and she's no longer being dunned to do so.

I ended up deleting my YouTube account when they forced integration into Google+. I hadn't even realized they had done so until I started receiving notices that people were following me on G+. I was able to disable the G+ service easily enough, but was unable to log into YouTube without reactivating G+. My solution was to delete my Google account altogether (after transferring my domain, websites, and mail accounts elsewhere), leaving them a clear and detailed explanation why they had lost me as a customer after 8 years when asked why I was leaving.

Hello Don,

being a former user of Imageshack, which didn't seem to work as it did before back then, I found the site "abload.de". They provide all sorts of links for hosted images, uploading is quite easy to be done - and don't mind the spelling, they're just playing around with phonetics (presumably in order to create an available URL).

Have been using it ever since, including "here".

Best wishes - Wolf