Sign in to follow this  
Steve Wilson

Learner Plates Still On

Ok I'm starting this to see if I can figure out how to quote part of a post.

This part.

No,just the last two words. I'll try again.

This part.

Nope again. I give up. It's too late.

This part.

Hit the Quote button, then select whatever is inside the quote box that you want to erase and hit the Delete (or Backspace) key. Just be careful if there are boxes within boxes that the beginning and end of your selection are in the same box.

I find quoting on this forum to be a bit flaky sometimes. Particularly quoting multiple things in one comment. If you're having trouble getting it to do what you want with the visual editor, you can click the light switch icon at the top left of the editor window and edit the BBcode manually.

This part.

David's way is the true path, Steve. :) I used the "Multiquote" to do it, too.

If you're having trouble getting it to do what you want with the visual editor, you can click the light switch icon at the top left of the editor window and edit the BBcode manually.

Wow, I never noticed that icon (and would have had no clue what it did if I had). Thanks. That makes tricky editing of multiple nested quote boxes a lot easier.

If you're having trouble getting it to do what you want with the visual editor, you can click the light switch icon at the top left of the editor window and edit the BBcode manually.

Wow, I never noticed that icon (and would have had no clue what it did if I had). Thanks. That makes tricky editing of multiple nested quote boxes a lot easier.

Somebody pointed that out to me a while back. (I, too, would have had no idea what it did, even if I had noticed it on my own.)

In fact, I now use it a lot, because I find that the "smart" editor is very buggy. As just one example, if I try to indent a small section, the "smart" editor will often indent much more -- maybe even the whole message, -- but if I go to the raw BBcode and move the "indent" tags to enclose the proper amount of text, then on return to the "smart" editor (and when posted), the indentation will display as I intended.

Is that the icon in the upper right corner that looks like a child's math paper where the child plots his points and then draws the connecting line segments to form an <?

Alan

Is that the icon in the upper right corner that looks like a child's math paper where the child plots his points and then draws the connecting line segments to form an <?

Alan

No, it looks like a light switch (although it's so small, it could be almost anything). A square plate with shading that decreases from bottom (gray) to top (white), screws near the four corners, and a small vertical rectangular doohickey inside it representing the moveable part of the switch. To the left of the gray and pink eraser. In my browser, it's directly over the B for Bold. And, of course, it's only there when you're creating or editing a post.

I am not seeing such a thing on my I-Pad. Maybe if I went over to the I-Mac and used that browser.

I am not seeing such a thing on my I-Pad. Maybe if I went over to the I-Mac and used that browser.

Are you seeing a menu (rows) of "tool" icons at the top of the editor pane? E.g., a smiley face (which when clicked should present you with a menu of different emoticons to choose from), a "B" for bold face (of any highlighted text), an "I" for italic text, an underlined "U" for underlining text, etc.? If so, the uppermost leftmost icon should be the one we're talking about, and if you click on it you should see an obvious change in the format of the editor's contents. If not, then you're using an editor that I've never seen, so I don't know how to help.

Thanks Jim, I believe you solved the issue, I am using a different editor. The one you described is like the one I would use when I am using work equipment.

Thank You,

Alan

This part.

Just be careful if there are boxes within boxes that the beginning and end of your selection are in the same box.

Getting this sorted, thanks David.

I find quoting on this forum to be a bit flaky sometimes. Particularly quoting multiple things in one comment. If you're having trouble getting it to do what you want with the visual editor, you can click the light switch icon at the top left of the editor window and edit the BBcode manually.

Flicked the light switch. Mmm..interesting. BBcode? I don't think I need to know about this at this stage. But thanks Alex.