Fs: Kensington Concertina - New

David Levine

I am selling my Kensington anglo concertina. I have owned it for almost two years and have played it for a total of about an hour. It is number 048, purchased from Dana Johnson in March, 2012. It is in perfect, new condition. It comes in the original hard case – also in excellent condition – and with the original tool-kit that Dana provides with every concertina.

Dana did some custom tuning on the concertina, which cost me a bit more. I am asking for $3,750. Shipping and insurance will be extra. If it is going to go to the USA then I will try to find someone to carry it over to avoid funding the national security apparatus (American Jihad) with your taxes*.

#048 is identical to the concertina in these photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14057247@N08/

It plays beautifully, is in perfect tune, and is a lovely instrument in every respect. Dana’s website, with more pictures, is http://www.kensingtonconcertinas.com/ The pricing given there is dated. So far as I know the current basic price is $3,500.

Here is an excellent discussion about the instrument, from 2005: http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3004

*Fair Warning: Skip this if you think that politics has nothing to do with music and concertinas. http://www.countercurrents.org/engelhardt060114.htm

Dana has had some health issues but I understand that he is making concertinas again. There is nothing on his site to indicate this. I believe his waitlist is over two-three years now and getting longer. Chris Ghent, who also makes wonderful instruments, has only good things to say about the Kensington. Dana has redesigned the instrument in significant ways. Everything goes together and comes apart in seconds, due in part to his use of allen head screws rather than slotted head screws. So there's no chance of slipping off the slot of an end screw and scratching the surrounding area.

This is from Dana's site:

How big, how many folds to the bellows etc.?
My concertinas are 6 1/4 inches across the flats, hexagonal ended. They have six fold leather covered bellows 1- 1/8 inch deep, Nickel Silver ends with 30 Delrin buttons plus one for air. They weigh a little over 3 lbs., similar to a 30 button C/G Jeffries with metal buttons. The button layout is a modified Jeffries layout. The action uses stainless steel levers in a special forked post that provides lateral stability as well as easy lever removal for repair or repadding. Springs are stainless steel and are specially wound to provide a life span of well beyond 4 million cycles. The concertinas come in a hard case, and have included a set of Allen type screwdrivers for maintenance. All screws are allen head to avoid instrument damage from slipping screwdriver blades so common in traditional instruments. All are standard (american) sizes in case one is lost.

I just received #33 ( built in 2009, I'm the second owner) and can echo David's comments about how well engineered and beautifully built a Kensington is. The action is quick and responsive, and it has a bright, clear tone. And Dana is very much alive and kicking. He has been very quick to respond and helpful in answering questions, and sorting me out with the proper sized handrests (he makes 3 sizes).

I own #37 and can attest to all of the positive comments about the Kensington concertinas. Well worth the asking price especially considering there is no waiting on a builder's list. If I did not already have one, I'd be all over this!

Edited by rmcraig

• 1 month later...

I also have one of Dana's excellent instruments and love it. The buttons are ergonomically very comfortable for

me. He's very helpful with answering questions and sorting out any problems. His website is out of date. He is most definitely taking orders and building wonderful, reasonably priced concertinas.

Highly recommended!

Lmc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...