New Video From Toru Kato

twisper

I agree...................Terrific anglo concertina playing.

So comfortable around the keyboard and interestingly he does not use his little finger at all on his right hand and very good bellows control evidenced by his sparing use of the air release button.

The inspirational part for me is his how free from the "home key" idea he seems to be. I wonder if his inspiration was the South African style of 40 key playing..................

Robin

The inspirational part for me is his how free from the "home key" idea he seems to be. I wonder if his inspiration was the South African style of 40 key playing..................

Well, his musical style certainly doesn't copy the Boer players I've heard.

I'm inclined to suspect that it's his own idea not to be restricted to "home keys".

Conversely, maybe the "home key" concept never even occurred to him?

I know that I've never felt constrained to follow particular "home key" patterns.

Though I'm certainly aware that anglos have two simple along-the-row keys/scales -- my first anglo being a 20-button, -- my own philosophy has always been "the notes are where you find them".

You're right, Jim, probably never occurred to him...................I had just been listening to some Boer music was impressed, yet again, with their rangy approach............

I was also wondering if not using his little finger is common in Irish music..............I've seen Irish button accordion players just use their middle three digits. In my playing it's a critical finger to use, so interesting to see it not used .

Tony............. I love it when people ask that question..........Anglo or duet or indeed English.

It seems to me that a player has managed to transcend some of the mechanics inherent in an instrument.

Robin

I believe that Mr.Kato conducts some instructional classes in Tokyo. I have observed to many of his videos, some are very simple 'along the row' tunes which seem aimed at beginners just starting out. There is one video where he demonstrates, using a simple melody, the variety of keys available to his 40 button layout, which would be a good jumping off place for anyone wishing to escape the incarceration of the "home keys"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRtySQuQtN4

The Puff video is very interesting as he plays the piece in 7 different keys with chord accompaniment on an Anglo.

I would be interested to hear from other 40 button Anglo players about how many different keys are usefully available. I guess that I am wondering if a 40 button Anglo could be treated like a rather idiosyncratic small duet.

I know that the Boers favor the 40 button Anglo. Ben once told me that he wanted to play in every key. Can you really do that? And not just the melody line. What about the flat keys?

Don.