Ralph Jordan - In Memoriam

Ralphie received a goodly turnout, a standing room only funeral service at the West Herts Crematorium outside Watford. The Quaker service promoted tears, laughter and thoughtful contemplation centred around his life, with short witness statements being provided by his many friends from both his work, social and musical life. The session at the pub afterwards was one he would have approved of, and it seemed strange that we were having a session in his "one minute " pub without him being there, but nevertheless the very appropriate place to be, as it was definitely what he regarded as "his" pub. Folks from his various walks of life were all to be found. Had any device managed to knock out the crematorium or the pub, a large proportion of the musical folk glitterati in the UK would have been lost at one fell swoop!
He's going to leave a very large hole in the musical future, and will be much missed. RIP to a very good friend x

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ralph's partner Sheena has found a number of his Eloise CDs while sorting things out,and has suggested that if anyone is interested in obtaining a copy they should contact her direct. Her email address can be found earlier in this thread.The CD was extremely well received when released,and is a musical journey through his life. He placed a thread about it on here when he released the recording.

Thanks ceemonster. I was intending to do that as well but other things got in the way. Will get round to that later.

Why is this telling me that I'm a new member??? I changed my password the other day,but that was all! Upset... My DLT avatar has disappeared... Off to sulk!

Edited by Irene S.

I have just received from Mollie Music the cd "Eloise", I almost bought it when released and finally I didn't but when I knew about the sad news and the great lost of such a talented musician, I ordered it inmediately without finishing to read the posts of the topic.

I think that they have more cds available.

All my prayers for Mr. Ralph Jordan too.

It would be wonderful if put some more videos and recordings of him in the future that shure shall be a highlight, as a lighhouse, for the beginners in the maccann duet playing.

Sincerely

Félix Castro

I think that they have more cds available.

All my prayers for Mr. Ralph Jordan too.

It would be wonderful if put some more videos and recordings of him in the future that shure shall be a highlight, as a lighhouse, for the beginners in the maccann duet playing.

Sincerely

Félix Castro

Sadly Felix ,although there may be one or two private videos and recordings of Ralphie playing, I don't think you'll find much out there which which will demonstrate the art of the solo player.He much preferred the art of accompanying and playing with others. You can find examples of that aspect of his work on the CD by Patterson Jordan Dipper called "Flat Earth",which,much though he hated the fact is available as an mp3 downloadable from sources such as Amazon,iTunes etc.The CD itself is no longer available although second hand copies sometimes pop up. You can find him on there,as on Eloise, demonstrating his prowess as guitarist,bouzouki, harmonium and Hammond organ player as well.

I do hope that his archives contain some more recordings of him, whether solo or with others, and that someone will take on the task of editing and publishing these, just as he did for Nigel Chippendale and Nic Jones, and no doubt for others.

I have just stumbled on this very sad news. I last saw Ralph 30 years ago but remember him well (who wouldn't?) from when we hung around with the same crowd in London for a few years either side of 1980. A musician of rare gifts, and very good company. RIP Ralph and condolences to his partner.

Steve Jones

I have just received my "Eloise" copy from Sheena - enjoyed the listening very much! There is a certain serenity with the CD as s whole, and I'd love the idea of Ralph joining me in this spirit wherever he may be now... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Radio Sverige played a couple of Ralph's tracks from "Eloise" on air yesterday , a Bach Gavotte,and a traditional Swedish air "Nigpolska". They are available to listen to online, and I've posted details on the Music and Videos thread if anyone wants to hear them.