Ralph Jordan - In Memoriam

Sad news. I was listening to Ralph's Eloise in the workshop yesterday. Cut # 6 "Josefin's Dopvais" caught my attention as a must learn tune.

In the liner notes Ralph mentions his father never got to hear him play concertina but that he hoped his father would approve. Yes indeed he would, Ralphie. He certainly would.

Peace.

Greg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always sad to lose someone we knew... or wish we had known. But we all pass on eventually.

In his life Ralph gathered both many accomplishments and many friends. Let's celebrate that, and hope that we may be as fortunate.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad new folks.

Our friend Ralph passed on to the great music session in the sky this morning.

One of the best concertina players on the planet, and a damn fine sound engineer as well.

Kind of leaves a gap in all our lives.

Ernie Warner, aka LeadFingersErnie

Reading back, I see that someone got there first. Sorry to repeat.

Edited by LeadFingersErnie

Sad news. I was listening to Ralph's Eloise in the workshop yesterday. Cut # 6 "Josefin's Dopvais" caught my attention as a must learn tune. In the liner notes Ralph mentions his father never got to hear him play concertina but that he hoped his father would approve. Yes indeed he would, Ralphie. He certainly would.Peace. Greg

The tune you mention had just been elected as January's Tune Of The Month (with two contributions incl. mine thus far). Not knowing Ralph's approach on it myself someone who does might introduce it through his or her own playing. I will keep remembrance of Ralph's whilst playing Take Five with him in my mind.

Wolf

Sorry to hear this very sad news. I had not seen Ralph for many years, but have some happy memories from the late 80s and early 90s. The trio 'Eric', with Ralph, the late Nigel Chippindale and Colin Thompson, springs to mind.

Some of you have asked if you can hear some of his music. Sadly the Onmvoice links that he originally put up are no longer available . There are some copies of his Eloise CD - well worth listening to, and critically well received, but sadly now the only solo CD that he will make (he had been pondering on items to put on his "difficult second CD" for some time - still available.

If anyone is interested in obtaining a copy, please message me and I will put you in contact with Ralphie's partner, Sheena who will be able to help you out on that. In the meantime you can hear some examples of his work with others on the Attic Tapes website that he set up ... particularly listen out for his concertina jazz break with the band Groupa playing Klappvals ... around half way through. He said that he thought he got away with it .... and some!! Examples there of his mastery of other instruments as well .

https://sites.google.com/site/theattictapes/collaborations

There was a nice tribute from Mike Harding on his folk show webcast last night: http://mhfs.podomatic.com

He also played a track off the Patterson, Jordan, Dipper album "Flat Earth". I'm listening to this album on Deezer now http://www.deezer.com/artist/1231755 and it is a great listen. I wasn't previously aware that Mr Jordan was such a talented multi-instrumentalist.

Edited by Defra

Defra, yes indeed. You name it he played it (almost). This is very evident on his solo CD "Eloise", a copy of which has been sent to Mike (previously agreed with Ralphie last year. Hopefully he may get to play some of it in a later show.

For those able to access BBC radio player streaming Genevieve Tudor gave a tribute to Ralphie - three recordings from Eloise may be found there ... first track played, and two further ones later on (One hour and eight minutes in) ... it is available for four more days only

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d7lt/episodes/player

Edited by Irene S

The following message was posted on Mudcat:

Apologies to everyone who has been waiting with baited breath,Ralphie's funeral will take place on 27th January, and it will be in the manner of The society of Friends (Quakers) It will be followed by refreshments and then a session.I would like to be in contact with everyone who plans to attend so please message me (a specific message not a wall post) on facebook - my preferred point of contact, or email me on clerksheena@hotmail.co.uk.I look forward to welcoming as many friends and colleagues as possibleSheena

Sheena Roberts has written to me:

At the funeral I am asking friends to write on a small (A6) card printed with the following

My name

How I knew Ralphie

My favourite memory

It occurs to me that this might be a wonderful way for those, like yourselves, who are not able to attend to take part.

Please feel free to pass this on to anyone you think might wish to do this.

I don't know yet what I will do with the cards ....

With love

Sheena

You can send your card to:

(address removed)

Mine reads:

Jody Kruskal

I knew Ralphie as that wild session animal at Sidmouth and Broadstairs over the years of touring the UK from my home in Brooklyn, New York. When he and Sheena invited me to stay at their place, Ralph would make me custom CDs to play in my rental car to get me through the traffic jams on the M25. Jameson’s, late night laughter, concertina tunes and stories were our delight.

On my last visit, this past November, Sheena warned me that Ralph had taken to his sick bed and not to expect too much from him. Even so, when I arrived, Ralph was up making Shepherd's Pie, perhaps his final meal. We feasted and for one last evening, the old Ralphie was back. What a daft, charming, exasperating and sensitive soul. RIP Ralphie, I’ll never forget you.

Edited by Jody Kruskal

Ralph's funeral will be held on Monday 27th January. You may have seen an earlier post giving full details of venues and times. Please note that this was unfortunate, and was not authorised by the family.

Although all are welcome, these are very small venues, and it was specifically requested that you contact Ralphie's partner Sheena Roberts direct for full details, as numbers need to be known for organisational purposes. Please do not just "turn up" without letting Sheena know that you intend to do so.

Apologies from me, and from her, that we had neglected to provide details on this forum. If you need to contact her, please either message her on Facebook, or alternatively email her at clerksheena@hotmail.co.uk.

Many thanks.
Irene Shettle