Ralph Jordan - In Memoriam

Duet player Ralph Jordan is seriously ill in hospital. From various comments on Mudcat and Facebook it appears he had a fall just before Christmas and was thought to have broken his hip. It turns out there was no fracture, but he underwent other tests for his general physical condition and was described as being 'a lot under the weather'.

Gareth Kiddier has now posted this on Faceboook:

A message from Sheena. Ralphie has been transferred to ICU and his organs appear to be failing. Please hold them both in your thoughts at this difficult time.

This doesn't sound at all good, but fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gareth posted this on Facebook about an hour ago" "Ralph has been on life support for over 24 hours now. He is peaceful and being well cared for, but may be fading. Sheena remains with him at the hospital. She asks that, if you know of friends who might not see this, you let them know". I just don't know what to say.

Chris & Anne

Rod - no . He did post stuff on Onmvoice, but that disappeared with the handover to another owner. Over the last seven years he has become one of my closest friends, and like Chris, i don't know what to say. Just hoping against hope that he might rally, but fearing the worst.

There is a preview of one of the tracks from his album "Eloise" here:

http://www.nicjones.net/shop?shopPage=product&shopCat=7_ralph_jordan_cds&shopProduct=16_eloise_ralph_jordan

This isn't my personal favourite from the album, but it does give a flavour of Ralph's playing. He is a talented multi-instrumentalist and also provided most of the accompanying backing to the melodies played on concertina. It's well worth getting.

Edited: I have removed the video after discussing it with Sheena, Ralphie's partner. There are very few videos of Ralphie in action around, but on reflection, this was not Ralphie at his best . We will be trying to get together a collection of photos and recordings of him which reflect him as what he was - a superb player, accompanist and intuitive musician. Will keep you posted.

Edited by Irene S

And herewith a recording of him accompanying me during a rehearsal of "She's Like the Swallow" - and I'll stress that it is exactly that - a rehearsal and not a polished performance . There are a couple of fluffs from him, and I forget some words ... but it is a great example of his art as an accompanist. I had started singing the song to him, and he picked the tina up and started providing an accompaniment, sensitive throughout to the verse content. At the end I turned to him and said "You've heard it before then?" ... answer was "Nope". We played it once more through, and then recorded it for reference . There is a video of it on Youtube in performance a few weeks later ... where I forget my words in a duff manner!! I've been hoping for some time that we could go back to it, and polish it off properly ... keeping my fingers crossed, but rather pessimistically, and hoping he will prove me wrong.
https://soundcloud.com/surreysinger/shes-like-the-swallow-irene

Edited by Irene S

are these reports saying that after what seemed to be a discrete fall incident, this gentleman was discovered to have a previously-unknown serious illness that is going directly into a rapid decline? or, something went awry at the hospital that caused this? or, he was already very ill, but this was unknown beyond his close circle? it is very distressing information,very distressingly conveyed. i purchased the cd "eloise" after reading discussion about it in some of the duet-related threads. it's lovely, not just the playing but the sensibility that subtly yet elegantly reveals itself....heartfelt wishes for comfort, peace, and ease to this musical spirit...

Edited by ceemonster

I'm afraid the only information I have comes from Gareth Kiddier's posts on Ralphie's Facebook page. It seems that quite a few people, myself included, hadn't seen these, possibly because they weren't posted by Ralph himself, and weren't aware of either his fall or subsequent deterioration until word started to get around As he is known to many on cnet, either in person or through his music, I thought I should spread the word here. Perhaps we'll learn more over the next few days. In the meantime, let's just hope for a miracle.

Edited by hjcjones

I have never posted this video up on Youtube for public view until today, as Ralphie has never said Yes or No to it, although I asked! If he pulls through I shall take extreme pleasure in owning up to it, and receiving whatever punishment I have coming to me. There are errors (but he was recovering from a nasty illness at the time) .... but it's still a great performance in my eyes. It's a piece that he used to play in the band Eric.

http://youtu.be/-PWJ83wlS9s

Thank you for posting - introduces to me a very fine musicianI hadn't really been aware of previously and lets me join those who are thinking of him under these critical circumstances.

And it's infectious, found myself squeezing the catchy theme last night... :)

May he do well and recuperate!

I'm sad to have to report that Ralphie, who was my close friend, and my musical partner for oh too short a time, passed away this morning peacefully at 3.50 am in hospital with his partner Sheena, and his sister by his bed. He had had a fall which his GP suspected had resulted in a fractured pelvis. This proved not to be the case, but while in hospital he was found to be suffering from dangerously low sodium levels ... and this was the reason for his decline in hospital, and it appears many of the other medical problems which he had had over the last couple of years. Once there is more news regarding funeral etc, I will pass them on.

RIP Ralphie ... so sad at this moment.

Edited by Irene S