Tune Of The Month, Jan 2014: Josefins Dopvals

Jim Besser

Waow what a nice collection of versions we already have! I hope there will be more !

I'm particularly curious to hear a version in F on anglo.

Jim, i don't find your upper version any squeaky,. To me, the main problem with the upper range is lack of power, and that the top notes tend to be covered by the lower ones. For instance, your upper note in the B part ( must be f') disapears a little bit in the harmonies... Maybe doubling it at the lower octave would reinforce it.

Quite lovely! Any chance that you have notated your accompaniment?

Thanks Don. I can do a transcription if i find a little time, but i'm not sure which kind of notation will be more useful... Especially because i play the g/d in a transposed way, thinking of it as a c/g. So i can most easily provide a transciption in the key of c, not g...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go. I wanted to do it in F, as composed, but (take note, those who claim the Hayden doesn't get you into this kind of problem) the low Bb in the melody is the lowest Bb on the instrument (left hand), so there's no room to put a chord under it. I tried all sorts of inversions but couldn't find anything I was happy with. So G major rules again.

Here we go. I wanted to do it in F, as composed, but (take note, those who claim the Hayden doesn't get you into this kind of problem) the low Bb in the melody is the lowest Bb on the instrument (left hand), so there's no room to put a chord under it. I tried all sorts of inversions but couldn't find anything I was happy with. So G major rules again.

I'm having similar problems on Anglo. F is fine for just melody on the C/G, awkward for chords/harmonies. G is better, on the G/D, but still there are passages that are surprisingly difficult to arrange. I'm used to playing this in a full band - piano players and fiddlers compensate for many Anglo failings!

First attempt at TOTM with just the melody in G on my George Jones C/G 30 button anglo.

http://soundcloud.com/bluerhodfa/totm-concertina-net-jan-2014/s-X8Ew5

When I can get my fingers round the bottom B flat A in the F version I will post that as well

Hopefully with the corrected link ;-)

Edited by bluerhodfa

I've played this for years, but always in big band situations, so I didn't need to worry much about accompaniment. So I was really surprised at how hard it was to do this solo. I hoped to do it in F - I've played it in that key many times, but mostly just melody - but quickly learned I'm just not good enough in F to play an interesting solo version.

So it's in G, and I'm not fully satisfied with the results, but it's a start. Comments welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/concertinist/josefins-dopvals-besser

Played on a 30 button Jeffries G/D Anglo.

Edited by Jim Besser

Well, at the moment I only manage to play anything through without mistakes one time in about twenty, and the chances of doing it with a recorder running are even smaller... Though I will try to record it before the end of the month - it will be a challenge! But in the meantime, here are some words to go with it. I find it much easier to remember music if I put words to it, and I was finding this hard to get into my head. I picked up the first two volumes of 'Songs of the Hebrides' ridiculously cheap in a charity shop just before Christmas and was reading 'The Cradle Spell of Dunvegan'. So given the title of this piece, these are some words.

/edit/ OK, 2nd try hopefully these work

Josefinwords.pdf

josefin-wordsabc2.txt

Edited by Spinningwoman

It's interesting how this tune has made it to other parts of the world. The best version in my opinion, although I'm Swedish, is the one by the Irish band Dervish.

Jim, I really like your chords and harmonies. Very nicely and tastefully done. I usually think that simplicity is the best. Your higher octave doesn't disturb, by the way.

Here's my first attempt - I'm still aiming to produce a chordal version before the month's out, but for the moment here's the melody played through twice through in F on my Wheatstone treble.

https://soundcloud.com/sfmans/josefins-dopsvals-concertina

Edited by Steve Mansfield