International Concertina Association Membership

Marcus

Establshed in 1952, the ICA exists to promote the playing, music and history of the concertina.

The Association publishes Concertina World magazine. Concertina World publishes articles on all aspects of the concertina: It contains interviews with young, old, new and (un)experienced players and composers, reviews of books and CDs, as well as news and reviews about important concertina-related events.

The Association collects and archives music for the concertina. The ICA library is a wonderful collection of music that has been especially written or arranged for the concertina. Although all these things are available on the ICA website, our membership dues make the collection and dissemination of this information possible and guarantees that our niche instrument doesn't fade into obscurity! And it's another club we can belong to! We're all part of the Concertina.net family and should promote our instrument of choice!

Thanks Marcus. The concrete benefits of ICA membership are the newsletter and access to the library. The intangible benefit is a sense of belonging. You can belong to the global community of concertina players without joing the ICA but it helps!

Happy New Year to all our readers, Roger, Secretary to International Concertina Association

I joined a few days ago as a result of this thread.

BTW, from looking at the web site: has the PICA journal not been published since 2008? Or are more recent editions available to members in some other way?

As far as I can tell, a number of pages on the web site haven't been properly updated in a long time, though others have been updated more recently.

I joined a few days ago as a result of this thread.

BTW, from looking at the web site: has the PICA journal not been published since 2008? Or are more recent editions available to members in some other way?

As far as I can tell, a number of pages on the web site haven't been properly updated in a long time, though others have been updated more recently.

PICA is an annual printed journal, and the 2013 version came out earlier this year. There is a certain ambivalence, shall we say, in the ICA about its posting online, even old copies, for folks who don't contribute financially to the cause - it takes money to make good things happen. That ambivalence may explain the lack of recent postings (or perhaps it is just a lack of volunteer labor to help make it happen). Best way to get it is to join.

BTW, Marcus neglected to mention PICA in his post above. It is one of the best things about the ICA, IMHO. Otherwise, concertinas would have no real scholarly journal. It is written to a higher standard than other ICA publications or, of course, this website. This is not snobbery to say that, and the other mediums have their own purposes and places. PICA articles are well researched, with an insistence on full references and peer review.

FYI, I have heard on good authority that the current volume of PICA (volume 10) will likely be the last one published. I don't know whether new members of ICA will get copies. Back issues are not available at this point in print or electronic format, except for volumes 1-5 which are free online at http://www.concertina.org/papers-of-the-international-concertina-association-pica . There are possibilities of availability of back issues in the future. If I hear more about this, I will post it here.

I would still encourage people to join the ICA at http://www.concertina.org/membership. As Marcus says, it's worthwhile to support a concertina organization.

Sorry about the omission. I was trying to include everything but somehow PICA was missed! I think that to support an organization that promotes our instrument is valuable.

Concertina World December 2013 has just been mailed to all members.

PICA 10 for 2013 is still being processed and unfortunately also delayed.

The Committee wishes all concertina players a Happy New Year.

And if you want to be really updated keep track with us on facebook; International Concertina Association

or twitter; @ConcertinaWorld

We try very hard to keep all these channels open and updated but we are relying on volunteers.

Concertina World December 2013 has just been mailed to all members.

PICA 10 for 2013 is still being processed and unfortunately also delayed.

The Committee wishes all concertina players a Happy New Year.

And if you want to be really updated keep track with us on facebook; International Concertina Association

or twitter; @ConcertinaWorld

We try very hard to keep all these channels open and updated but we are relying on volunteers.

I guess that was Concertina World that came earlier this year. Sorry for the wrong info!

If what Daniel says is correct, and I suspect that it is, then we all owe Allan Atlas our gratitude for ten years of work at the helm of PICA (predeeded by several more years at a related free reed journal). PICA has set a solid foundation (and standard) for those of us who enjoy considering the history of the instrument, and Allan will be sorely missed at that job. Let's hope he does some recording, and more writing, in his retirement!