Classic Banjo Music On Anglo Concertina? Yes!

I hereby submit to the forum a performance of the classic banjo tune "Too, Utterly Too" done by myself on my 30 button wheatstone layout Morse Ceili anglo concertina. https://soundcloud.com/stream

Very nicely done, great tune.

Lots of great tunes in that genre. I used to play this one with a couple of friends who were deeply into this music : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sttqYQG-9-U . But never recorded it.

I hereby submit to the forum a performance of the classic banjo tune "Too, Utterly Too" done by myself on my 30 button wheatstone layout Morse Ceili anglo concertina. https://soundcloud.com/stream

Very nicely done, great tune.

Lots of great tunes in that genre. I used to play this one with a couple of friends who were deeply into this music : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sttqYQG-9-U . But never recorded it.

Thanks, Jim. And thanks for sharing that youtube. Can you still play that tune? I'd love to hear it on concertina.

Yes good stuff. Not knowing it at all and with no 'banjo tune' preconceptions, to me it sounds like an old music hall tune and entirely appropriate.

Thanks for the ineluctable opinion, good Sir Dirge!

Blimey yes. I must get round to looking it up.

Yes good stuff. Not knowing it at all and with no 'banjo tune' preconceptions, to me it sounds like an old music hall tune and entirely appropriate.

Roughly it means that your opinion is made of stern stuff indeed with which nature itself cannot contend.

Roughly it means that your opinion is made of stern stuff indeed with which nature itself cannot contend.

Blimey again.

I hereby submit to the forum a performance of the classic banjo tune "Too, Utterly Too" done by myself on my 30 button wheatstone layout Morse Ceili anglo concertina. https://soundcloud.com/andy-western/too-utterly-too-classic-banjo

And what you're playing is not an adaptation, but everything as written? I suspect the answer is yes, since you're playing in A, which in my limited experience seems to be the "standard" key for classical banjo. And on a C/G anglo, yes? Yet another example to show that the anglo is not as limited as many seem to assume. :)

By the way, classical banjo music is also great for the English, since -- unlike the piano and even guitar -- all the notes of the banjo (in standard classical tuning) are within the range of a standard treble English. I have a few such pieces of music, both solos and duets, and they're great fun to play. I suspect the same would be true of classical mandolin music, though I haven't yet come across any to try.

I hereby submit to the forum a performance of the classic banjo tune "Too, Utterly Too" done by myself on my 30 button wheatstone layout Morse Ceili anglo concertina. https://soundcloud.com/andy-western/too-utterly-too-classic-banjo

And what you're playing is not an adaptation, but everything as written? I suspect the answer is yes, since you're playing in A, which in my limited experience seems to be the "standard" key for classical banjo. And on a C/G anglo, yes? Yet another example to show that the anglo is not as limited as many seem to assume. :)

By the way, classical banjo music is also great for the English, since -- unlike the piano and even guitar -- all the notes of the banjo (in standard classical tuning) are within the range of a standard treble English. I have a few such pieces of music, both solos and duets, and they're great fun to play. I suspect the same would be true of classical mandolin music, though I haven't yet come across any to try.

Hi, Jim. Yes, I'm playing a c/g anglo concertina (30 button). As for whether it is my adaptation or not, if you mean to ask whether I transposed it to another key than it was originally written in, then the answer is no. I'm playing it in its original key. But it is my own arrangement. I came up with the harmonies and flourishes and what have you. I appreciate your acknowledgement that the anglo is much more versatile than is generally given credit for. Bertram Levy's advanced tutor "American Fiddle Styles For the Anglo Concertina" has opened my eyes to the full potential of the instrument.

It sounds like you play and English system concertina, Jim, yet possess an understanding of the value and possibilities an anglo system offers. Do you play both systems? Perhaps you could share a bit more about your experience with the concertina.

Andy.

Blimey again.

My man, we are living in a world full of mystery, spectacle, and the unfathomable. Blimey, indeed...

Blimey again.

My man, we are living in a world full of mystery, spectacle, and the unfathomable. Blimey, indeed...

Gosh.

Blimey again.

Gosh.

Déjà vu (ici)...!

Blimey again.

Gosh.

Déjà vu (ici)...!

D'AAH!!!