A Certain Feeling Of Déjà Vu ...

Chris Timson

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had wondered if maybe it it wasn't so much "G. Panda" as "G P & A." Well, I still wonder...not the first item on my list of curiosities, though.

I've been waiting for this (had come up before) - but what would you make out of "G P & A"?

Since I'm perhaps missing the point I hesitate with grounding further conspiracy theories on those letters... :unsure:

A business name, perhaps? Haven't a clue, really.

It seems to be just a game that he is playing with it, and an excuse to be rude to even more people:

He listed it last time at only €99.00, without reserve, then cancelled all bids before the end of the auction (and the usual final flurry of bids that might normally be expected at the end):

And this time he's relisted it with a Starting bid: EUR 9,900.00 Approximately £8,269.81 - which is a bit like childishly sticking two fingers up at all the other concertina players, and potential concertina players, who might actually like to give the instrument a deserving home.

It's not even unique either, though he claims it is - I've played on another one like it (only in better condition) that was made for a boxer in the 1920s, and we know of others.

He's 'avin a larf, only really it's sad. :rolleyes: :(

As far as I can see, the auction with a €3,500 starting price went to completion with no bids. He must have been really upset about that, because he probably thought that even a pressure sale of it would get at least €3,500, after all that is a few hundred less than he paid for it originally. But I think the concertina market has weakened since then, and by now this concertina has a lot of history. I think the €99.00 starting price in the following auction was more likely a misplaced decimal point than a deliberate ploy to annoy bidders, because he has prior record of starting an auction with a misplaced decimal point. I think that he has long been following the strategy of putting a relatively high price on it, like a show-room dealer with a highly priced object in a shop window, he hopes one day someone will come along and buy at that price. But the €9,900 ridiculously high price was perhaps informed by anger at the recent outcome. He is still a person with an insufficient belief in the market to think that he will get a fair price if he starts the auction at €99 and gets a few bids on it. Quite so close to Christmas probably wasn't quite the best time also.

It seems to be just a game that he is playing with it, and an excuse to be rude to even more people ...

As far as I can see, the auction with a €3,500 starting price went to completion with no bids. He must have been really upset about that ...

But this particular instrument had already been listed multiple times before Chris ever posted about it Ivan, and "the game" was already being played long before that, over other instruments that 'gpanda' has bought or put up for sale.

He has left unnecessarily negative eBay feeedback for respected members of the concertina community, and has been gratuitously rude and totally unhelpful to numerous people (including myself) who have had the temerity to ask him perfectly normal and legitimate questions about what he has supposedly been trying to sell.

It's a game, but only he knows the rules... :unsure:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

But this particular instrument had already been listed multiple times before Chris ever posted about it Ivan, and "the game" was already being played long before that, over other instruments that 'gpanda' has bought or put up for sale.

He has left unnecessarily negative eBay feeedback for respected members of the concertina community, and has been gratuitously rude and totally unhelpful to numerous people (including myself) who have had the temerity to ask him perfectly normal and legitimate questions about what he has supposedly been trying to sell.

It's a game, but only he knows the rules... :unsure:

I've followed every attempt he has made to sell this instrument, and although the guy clearly doesn't really "get" ebay, I think with time the nature of how he thinks has become clearer. I don't think we have seen rude gpanda for some time now, I think he has realised it doesn't help. I suspect he has, or has had, problems controlling his anger: during the earlier sales attempts he got angry when asked questions that exposed his ignorance, or else problems with the concertina. He was once particularly upset to be asked about the serial number (a perfectly reasonable question that turns out to be embarrassing in this case), but recently he has been open about the serial number situation.

There was an early attempt to sell it where he put a sensible starting price on it (I think it was GBP2000), but he stopped it because a couple of days before the end there were no bids close to his ambition of selling it for rather more than he bought it for: a decision which exposed his distrust for the ebay auction market. Since then, he has mostly tried to sell it with a very high starting price, operating a bit like a showroom dealer rather than an ebay auction seller, but these never attracted a bid. At one stage he put it on at a slightly higher starting price each time it failed to sell. He twice pulled the auction because he put the decimal point in the wrong place in the starting price, as illustrated by immediately restarting it with a starting price 100 times higher.

By recently trying to sell it with a starting price of €3500, and letting it run to completion (I think that is roughly the value of the bid he once got on the auction he started at GBP2000) he has for the first time shown an apparent willingness to sell it for less than he bought it for. He has grown up to the idea he might have to take a loss on this one. He must have been mortified he couldn't even sell it at that level today.

... we have players among us despite their versions...

"All the world's a stage,

And all the men and women merely players:

They have their exits and their entrances;

And one man in his time plays many parts ..."

gpanda (1599*) ???

Very brave reply!

Solving one of the last mysteries in history...

Maybe those lost years were spent on concertina making then...?

Edited by blue eyed sailor

There was some wood found on the Mary Rose which was identified as part of a concertina. I wonder ...

Chris

You mean it might have been some rampant argument regarding selling or not selling the instrument that eventually caused the sinking?

Just amazing how the pieces seem to fit together...! :blink: