Irish, A Whole New World

England  can show something of what pagan Ireland almost lost, and Ireland can show something of what the Victorians almost destroyed in England. The USA presents "cabaret" versions of both :)  See, now there is a even cheaper shot ;)  Where's Jim?

I'm right here. :) I'll be sending Bush to whack you... right after the election. :ph34r:

Then again, maybe a curse from one of our American neo-Druids would be just as effective. B)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I am English by birth, so by national right I get to make cheap shots at the colonials (there's one to start with :) )

As I recall, the last time the English tried that, we Colonials outgunned them. :)

(And you should be careful where you aim your cheap shots. You might just hit yourself in the foot. After all, how many colonies does Britain have these days? :( )

After all, how many colonies does Britain have these days? :( )

I believe the answer is "one." At least, a friend from Bermuda told me they were the last one. Of course, if you're going to hang on to just one colony from a huge empire, I think they chose the right one!

:)

Steven

1. I have good friends (including, now, yourself) who have pointed this out, and I shall follow this up, particularly East Clare, I think.

D'oh, how could I have forgot East Clare on Concertina.net; it really is the home to Irish Concertina Music as much as Kerry and East Galway are the home of Irish Button Accordion. That being said, I am pretty sure that Fr. Charlie Coen comes from Galway so lets not forget that any region with a strong tradition going can add something to playing of another instrument that fits within the tradition.

The thing most people outside the Tradition don't realize is that there were areas in Ireland where not long ago Trad music was barely tolerated; indeed in Dublin one would have had to look awfully hard 40 years to find anyone who played the music. Since roughly a third of the Population has moved to Dublin and the Tourists expect it these days the music scene has improved dramatically (Well that is what I understand from people who should know).

2. We shall see, but it has some stiff competition.  Over that side of the pond you may not realise just how good English music is. Do yourself a favour and get to next year's English Country Music Weekend. Just ask Henk!

What and risk getting kicked out of the family? :) When I master my first thousand Irish Tunes I might start thinking about branching off into other Genres, but right now I am busy enough :).

That being said, I am English by birth, so by national right I get to make cheap shots at the colonials (there's one to start with :) )

I never understood why the British thought an empire would be a good idea, if they couldn't keep the Colonials, who considered themselves English, in their little empire what ever made them think they could keep the Indians, Africans, Irish, Arabs..... :)

--

Bill

It seems to be getting less by the day particularly as people on the island of Pitcarin are now trying to say that island doesn't belong to us either!

It seems to be getting less by the day particularly as people on the island of Pitcarin are now trying to say that island doesn't belong to us either!

I think the British can take them :) Though why England wanted an island that was inhabited by the descendents of mutineers is beyond me anyway.

I believe the answer is "one." At least, a friend from Bermuda told me they were the last one.

I thought Bermuda was American, owned by all the US companies that have "moved overseas" to avoid paying taxes. :ph34r:

Seriously, though, it is a UK "Overseas Territory" (formerly a "Crown Colony", but the word "colony" is no longer used). But it's not the only one.

I think Belize is still a colony also...

Nope. Gained independence in 1981, at which time it joined the Commonwealth.

I immediately thought of The Falklands.

Yep. The Falkland Islands Government web site says, "The Falkland Islands are an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom".

Suspecting there might be more, I went googling and found Gibraltar, among others. Then I found the entry for "Crown Colony" on the wordIQ web site. It lists three "first stage" overseas territories, four "second stage", five "third stage", only Bermuda at "fourth stage", the nearest to independent. In addition, there are two "Sovereign Base Areas" on Cyprus.

So there are a few British "colonies" left, but all are island territory (except Gibraltar? does it qualify as island or mainland?), and they're a faint shadow of the former Empire, most of which has now joined the Commonwealth.

What and risk getting kicked out of the family? :)  When I master my first thousand Irish Tunes I might start thinking about branching off into other Genres, but right now I am busy enough :).

Oh dear, that means you're going to miss out on French and Swedish music as well, plus other traditions I haven't touched myself yet, like Dutch (which, from very brief acqaintance, sounds as if there's a lot to it). and Danish (ditto).

You really want to try music from other traditions. Quite apart from the pleasure of fine tunes, it can lead you back to your "home" tradition refreshed and with a whole new viewpoint.

Chris

...people on the island of Pitcairn are now trying to say that island doesn't belong to us either!
I think the British can take them :)

In cricket,... or football (soccer to the Yanks)?

Though why England wanted an island that was inhabited by the descendents of mutineers is beyond me anyway.

.. 1) After their experience with the Yanks, they're happy with whatever they can get. :ph34r:

.. 2) Breadfruit. :D

...people on the island of Pitcairn are now trying to say that island doesn't belong to us either!
I think the British can take them :)

In cricket,... or football (soccer to the Yanks)?

Oh, I meant with the military; we all know that the British routinely get their clocks cleaned when they face their colonies in sports the English invented :) At least with war the British can send more people than live in all of Pitcairn, that might give them a fighting chance :)

Though why England wanted an island that was inhabited by the descendents of mutineers is beyond me anyway.

.. 1) After their experience with the Yanks, they're happy with whatever they can get. :ph34r:

.. 2) Breadfruit. :D

Aren't breadfruits on a mess of other islands in the Pacific? I also never knew that the British were big fans of it.

You know I am starting to feel a little guilty; I mean it is a ton of fun to poke fun at the British, but some of them on here might start taking it seriously...

--

Bill

You know I am starting to feel a little guilty; I mean it is a ton of fun to poke fun at the British, but some of them on here might start taking it seriously...

i wouldn't worry - we're a pretty broad minded lot. the important thing is you speak our language and play our instruments - you can't be bad really ;)

Oh, I meant with the military; we all know that the British routinely get their clocks cleaned when they face their colonies in sports the English invented :)

Oh? And who are the rugby world champions, then?

Chris

PS don't worry about offending us. Remember who invented the concertina!

Oh, I meant with the military; we all know that the British routinely get their clocks cleaned when they face their colonies in sports the English invented :)

Still the lingering confusion between England and Britain. :o

As long as everything gets blamed on the English, the rest of us in the UK can have an OK time B)

- John

... So there are a few British "colonies" left, but all are island territory (except Gibraltar? does it qualify as island or mainland?), ...

Ah, islands, a subject I know something about. Having not long ago visited the peninsula (Kintyre) which hugs my island I can safely say that if it is representative of peninsulae in general then it certainly shares most of the main characteristics of islands.

And, well, if Great Britain consists of islands, then there seems a certain poetic justice in the fact that the remaining "colonies" are also island territories.

Hows the view from the peninsula and islands that are Denmark, Jim?