Holiday Concertina Pyramid

Risking life, limb, and fret work here is the 2013 Holiday Concertina Pyramid.

You can enjoy in several different ways:

1. Just by looking

2. By trying to identify various instruments. I will provide clues and confirmation

3. By purchasing. These instruments are for sale. See the buy & sell forum.

Let me wish concertina lovers everywhere a wonderful holiday season. Special thanks to Paul and Ken who keep this wonderful site alive and running.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

A 56 and a 64 button Aeola? Amazing. Or did I mis identify?

Hi Chuck,

Well spotted and right you are. Before I completely identify them can you guess their range? Hint: position of the thumb strap and

finger plate in relation to the layout of the lowest notes. As a bonus place them in their decade of manufacture.

Mega bonus question: There is another Aeola shape in the bunch. Can you identify the model and maker? (The difficulty of this question should make you a millionaire but I have not lined up the sponsorship. Go for it anyway!)

Greg

In support of Greg's wish to sell the 64key Aeola... from an earlier post I note that it is from the 31500's number series. I have owned three Aeolas made during the same period and they remain THE three very best I have ever played!!

I still have one of them. Another was swapped to Dirge... so he might confirm of its fantastic qualities.

Good luck with your Pyramid sales Greg and Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Hi Chuck,

Well spotted and right you are. Before I completely identify them can you guess their range? Hint: position of the thumb strap and

finger plate in relation to the layout of the lowest notes. As a bonus place them in their decade of manufacture.

Mega bonus question: There is another Aeola shape in the bunch. Can you identify the model and maker? (The difficulty of this question should make you a millionaire but I have not lined up the sponsorship. Go for it anyway!)

Greg

Well, I'm not much of an expert at this, but it looks like a tenor / extended treble and perhaps an extended treble (maybe tenor/treble?) to me. I've no idea who built the other one. Can I get a quarter million??

Surely that should be a 48 button Aeola i ebony, 64 key Aeola nickel, and a 56 key 8 sided of another make, perhaps Crabb?

"...three Aeola 'tinas, two wooden Jeffries, and a partridge in a pear tree." Now we are getting in the holiday

rhythm!

Here are concertina.net links to confirm the two metal end Aeolas:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=16010

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15996

Here is a link to a picture of the black, wooden end one. (Scroll down about 4 posts. You may be able to enlarge the

photo enough to read the label for a clue. (Hint: Theo was on the right track but for the wrong Aeola)

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15967

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

Chuck,

Our own inimitable and august Geoff Crabb has a wonderful explanation of the different ranges of English concertinas and clues on how to

identify them. Here is a link to a cnet post where Geoff provides a link to his mini treatise. (Geoff's post is three

down from the top)

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15953&do=findComment&comment=150890

Stuart,

Well spotted on the Jeffries! There is a Ab/Eb whose bellows I replaced with a stamped and properly papered 6-fold and a very lively G/D with its original 5-fold (and some wild Brazilian rosewood)

The metal end 31b Jeffries is a healthy Bb/F. The two wood end Jeffs are ready to go and the Bb is about a week away. I'll get "vanity"

pictures up soon.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

• 2 weeks later...

Lots going on during the holidays and I never got back to the Aeola riddle I posed as to who made the black 8-sided treble in the picture.

Here are some pictures and I'll give the answer in a couple of days. (Hint: The buttons and finger plates are made of aluminum.)

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

Geoff is correct. The aluminum buttons, finger rests and style of rivet action all point toward a Crabb made instrument. The shape of the reed shoes and quality of manufacture also say Crabb to me. Another clue would be the ply frames.

Randy, while I would not class this one in the quality of the golden area vintage instruments, I think it is a good step better than several of the "Wheatstone made for Matusewich" concertinas that I have played. Price is $1800. USD + shipping.

Greg

Chris and all,

There are three Jeffries in the stack: A lovely Brazilian rosewood 26b G/D with original 5-fold bellows; an Ab/Eb rosewood 26b that I refurbished and that has a Jowaisas gold stamped 6-fold bellows; and a Bb/F 31b that is just about ready for sale.

I'll post some close up vanity pics in the next few days.

Greg