Early Wheatstone Or Lachenal Or Neither?

Pattina

I am a new member and have a question about an old English concertina. Can anyone help me identify this instrument and it's age? I have done what research I can and it seems to be an 1853 Wheatstone. I'm hoping that is the serial number on the inside of the instrument. The Wheatstone ledgers don't seem to tell me anything about what the instrument is that goes with a particular number. It has a mix of brass and steel reeds that make me think it's not worth fixing as I'm guessing they sound different from each other.

If this instrument does have some value and is worth fixing or finding a collector/repair person, let me know.

Thanks in Advance

post-10822-0-37150800-1383315518_thumb.jpg

post-10822-0-73730500-1383315507_thumb.jpg

Yes that is the serial and it probably is a Wheatstone though many concertinas of this period look similar . The quality of the wood of the ends suggests a good instrument, which all the very old ones were anyway. The wear on the buttons and the mixture of reeds suggest it was played a lot and perhaps it is a good player .

In 1853 most concertinas were 48 key English system models with wooden ends.. so the ledgers might only say who it was sold to.

Good luck with it,

Geoff.

I'd say that's definately a Wheatstone - mine is #5892 (pictures on the What Our Concertinas look Like thread and looks identical in the body and reed pans, and has the serial number on the edge of the pans in the same place as you show.

As such it's certainly well worth finding a decent fixer to get it back in full working order. Not the loudest concertina you'll hear, but great to play and a lovely warm tone.

[edited to fix link, banjaxed in v1]

Edited by Steve Mansfield

• 2 weeks later...

seems to have a mixture of brass & steel reeds. I would suggest it's basically a brass reeded model that has had some steel replacements as the brass ones have broken . This would suggest to me that some of the other brass reeds could also possibly be on the way out too?