C/g Or G/d?

The usual question, briefly addressed, is to ask what style of music you want to play and go from there. And, specifically, why you want to play concertina.

I am learning, mostly on a D/G melodeon, mainly English, largely Morris tunes. Also I have a G/D Marcus and a C/G 20b Lachenal. Don't use accidentals much. I'm not big on playing tunes in a different octave from the "usual" - or the one in which I've learnt them :) And I am mostly in GMaj on the melodeon so far.

For ease, and to stay in the same octave for tunes I know, I tend to use the C/G. Don't find changing hands to be a problem (i.e playing tunes on the left hand on concertina that I normally play on the right hand on a melodeon) . But that's just the same tunes on a different box. To play the same tunes in the same octave on a G/D requires you to use the next button up for pull notes. The brain does get there, but it's extra work. And more mistakes. And then it messes you up coming back.

So D/G melodeon (I have a converted Liliput) to G/D concertina is not a straight move. For the same octave, the G row maps easily to C/G and the D row to the G/D, coming from the melodeon. I try to stick to different tunes for the G/D concertina but in reality it's been neglected.

For a beginner, I would point out, as above, that the vast majority of training material is written for C/G, most workshops and tutorials assume C/G. That should, I imagine, be less of a problem for you because you're not a beginner, but it might be if you don't read music.

(Perversely, perhaps, I am starting at some Irish session workshops (they are the only beginner sessions nearby). Having taken the melodeon for the first evening, I will taking a concertina henceforth. Leaning towards the G/D but "conventionally" I should take the C/G. Maybe I'll take both. )

Don't know if this helps. Just a different perspective.

I think it appropriate that I say a big thank you to everyone who has given their thoughts and ideas on this topic. For a complete ignoramus on the subject it has been helpful, to say the least. There seemed so many pros and cons for and against either tuning that in the end, for me, it boiled down to my preference for the sound and, perhaps, a bit more versatility that comes with a c/g.

So I am now the proud owner of a Lachenal c/g and very happy I am too!

Thank you again,

Ollie

I play English music on melodeon and both C/G and G/D anglos.

It is historical accident rather than musical choice which explains why most people play C/Gs. That's how the majority of instruments were made. G/Ds were, and still are, relatively uncommon. Since the majority of English music sessions are in G and D, the G/D is the one I reach for most. As Bertram said, it is a question of the idiom you wish to play, and for this type of music what he (slightly dismissively) describes as the 'folk style' is the one most commonly used. There is (or can be) far more to this style than just a 'few chords on the left and melody on the right'.

I am reluctant to take issue with such an undoubted authority as Bertram, but in this style the middle row offers (in my opinion) the best options for runs of bass notes along with chords. He is right that this is only really available in one direction, but that is just a question of bellows management.

I think compatibility with the D/G melodeon is a red herring. I don't think it makes much difference from a melodeonist's point of view which concertina you play. Whilst familiarity with a push-pull instrument will give you a head start, there is only a superficial similarity when it comes to playing. In particular, the fingering of the scale on the right hand of the concertina corresponds to the upper octave of the melodeon. More importantly, the interval between the rows is different so cross-rowing patterns are quite different.

In many respects I often (but not always) prefer the brighter sound of the C/G, and I also usually prefer the C/G for accompanying songs. I am fortunate to have the choice and to be able to select the instrument I feel best suits the mood of a particular tune. However, if I had to choose just one anglo for playing English dance music it would be a G/D.

Both G/D and C/G can of course be played in a number of keys, but are most intuitive in the home keys, especially for playing harmonic style where you need chord notes in the same direction as the melody.

English music is mostly played in the keys of G and D. I find the 'home keys' give better options for chords and bass runs. This therefore makes the G/D my preferred choice for most tunes. Since getting a G/D anglo I find I reach for the concertina more in sessions, where before I would have picked up the D/G melodeon.

If you regularly play in an East Anglian session with a lot of one-row melodeons in C then a C/G might be a better choice as it gives you C and G quite easily, and can be played in D. However I don't agree with Bertram that a C/G offers good choices when playing in the key of D for this style of playing. Personally, I find playing in D on the C/G a bit limiting and unsatisfying, but perhaps I need to work harder at it!

For some tunes I prefer the brighter sound of the C/G. It's also better when playing in D min or F. I'll often use it for tunes in Am or Em although both keys can be played equally well on the G/D, because it gives a quite different feel. I'm fortunate to have that choice.