Richard Evans

Any news from Richard?

The news last night was that Bells Line of Road was cut by an out of control fire, and that Bell was isolated.

I have e-mailed Richard, but as he is probably got other things on his mind now, I don't expect a reply soon.

I have just got off the phone from Richard. Things were very tight there last night. The fire got to within 25 metres of his workshop. At one point yesterday there was a water tanker and two trucks in front of his house and half a dozen helicopters water bombing. Richard was knocked over by the wash from 9 tons of water dropped by a single chopper (an Ericson Skytrain for you helicopter buffs).

The concertinas waiting for repair had been evacuated to the bushfire brigade headquarters up the road where there is a clear defendable area.

Late last night Richard was warned that the situation was too dangerous because of a lack of anywhere to run and if the fire crowned the men would be withdrawn and that would be it. Luckily it didn't. Crowning is when the tops of eucalyptus trees explode in a fireball and it can move as fast as the wind, jumping from tree to tree.

Today he is back home, surrounded by blackened vegetation, the power is on and his phone works. Because of the lack of fuel in the undergrowth he can expect no trouble for five or ten years.

This happened because we had the hottest winter on record and no rain. This coming summer is shaping up to be difficult.

Edited by Chris Ghent