Playing All Keys On The C/g

As promised here is the arrangement for Bull at the Wagon which I feel really communicates the intention of the piece. You should compare this version with Jody's version which he submitted. Per the previous discussions Bull at the Wagon has three parts - the first is the wagon. In this arrangement the symmetry of the first 3 measures with a strong off beat is crucial to establishing the feel of the wagon wheels. For the second measure one should use the 4th finger as marked to free up the second finger for the G# on button L5. The second part is the flight of fancy - The third part is the Bull moaning. As with the whole piece, air management is key to making this happen. This is especially the case in the third measure as the moaning of the bull lasts a quarter note and consumes a fair amout of air (especially on the Stagi). The quarter note is then followed with a chord placed to free of the fifth finger for the phrase that follows. When playing the opening phrases it is often helpful to use the air button as well to replenish the bellows. Also please note that there is a finger shift at the end of the second measure in the thrid part as marked 5 to 2 to set up the hand for the third measure.

Playing this tune in A (the same as the fiddle) comes out well on the C/G concertina especially the first part where the offbeat wagon feel is part of the tune. I tried to play it in the key of D as one would on a G/D box and was immediately faced with problem of having to change directions in inappropriate places in the phrase that detract from the rhythmic intention of the phrase. The third part works equally well in both the A shape and D shape

For those who have my fiddle tunes book, you will see that I have not reversed the stems for the left and right side. If it's really a problem I will write it with those aids but hopefully by submitting the video one can see what is going on. The arrangement does require study and can not be executed by playing a bunch of chords and taking notes out. Nevertheless its well worth the effort and will sound really great when played in an old time session

So now I will try to put in the attachment. I am not sure I can do the video part - may need to get someone like Bruce McCaskey to submit it for me. Wish me luck

Bertram

Bull at the Wagon 2.pdf

Alas, I was not able to access the video. And I've been looking forward to seeing it. I made a fairly decent recording of myself playing Bertram's arrangement which I just attempted to share here but it seems to be beyond my skill to transfer the audio file. I found it to be a wonderful, evocative arrangement and the low harmonies in the third part are applicable to other tunes in the key of A major as well (like the fiddle tune "Granny").

Sorry I couldn't do more on this end, but I'll be happy to get with you when you return home. I really enjoyed the video, wonderful playing and it's a great tune.

Edited to add:

Since my initial comment above I've given the PDF a try. As you commented, I noted that you'd made changes in the notation from that used in your second tutor, but the bellows direction indicators are sufficient to dictate which buttons you intend to be used so that the desired phrasing is achieved. This fits well, albeit slowly (for now), on my Wheatstone layout - perhaps the Jeffries people will need to make some small adjustments? Maybe not, I see you didn't flag a closing bellows for the C# in the second measure of the 4th line, but perhaps that was to make allowance for those that have it on the open as well as the close.

Thanks for making this video and PDF available.

Edited by Bruce McCaskey