Consairtín The National Concertina Convention Of Ireland

A fantastic and diverse list of tutors. The inclusion of Bernie Geraghty and Micheàl Ò Raghallaigh, who normally are not tutors at the Willie Clancy Summer School is a bonus for me. I will also be very excited to see the new Suttner concertina model. Jürgen has brought several new models out over the years, and I expect this arrival to be very special. All in all the weekend is shaping up nicely in terms of classes, lectures and special events. Another big plus is that many pubs in Ennis will be available for sessions, both on the programmer and off. Please keep an eye on the website for updates, and registration will begin in February.

Bill I would say an alternative. The OAC is planning another Cruinniú in February, and it should be very well attended. The OAC is an organization to promote the culture, history, and traditions of Clare and has done a great job with respect to library, photos, and exhibits. The Cruinniú had attendance exceeding expectations, and there were many wonderful moments of the weekend. There were many children involved in the classes of the Cruinniú, many local to Clare. Compared to Consairtín, which although being held for the first time in Ennis, Clare, this is a national convention inclusive of tutors and performers from all parts of Ireland. There is mention of the Irish Concertina Ensemble, and the likelihood of a continuing tradition in future years. Ennis is a town equipped for a larger scale event in terms of venues, accommodation and ease or transportation. Ennis has always been a town known for traditional music, and seems like a good fit for the event. So basically I see both events, spread out by enough time to see children and locals easily able to attend both. From a perspective of coming from North America, I was the only student attendee at the Cruinniú. Dan Worrall made an excellent contribution to the weekend, and was a key presence during the lectures, and recitals.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not had notification of the Milltown Malbay event next February yet. I enjoyed it very much this year and it was a nice compact gathering. There was only one bus per day from Ennis so this would be more convenient with more accommodation locally in Ennis. I think the people in MM were glad to see visitors out of season so would go again. Hope it isn't overkill or competition- the participants seem similar.

I had hoped for representation from other concertina styles and countries as I am not nationalistic about music.

More for non players to do in Ennis it's a nice town.

Edited by michael sam wild

I've heard from Harry Hughes at the OaC in Milltown that the Concertina Cruinniu is definitely on, for February 14-16. The details haven't been released yet, but I understand that Noel Hill will be there, along with others who will teach during the weekend.

Some if not all of the ladies involved in the project with Mrs,. O'Dwyer's old German concertina (see my website www.angloconcertina.org for info on that) will be involved in a group discussion of the old days when the German concertina was the top of the pops, and when women played it by the hearth.

I'm sure there will be more events, which the OaC will soon release.

The concertina is big in Ireland....looks like there should be enough room for two concertina-focused events.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There have been many updates to the website. Also a Facebook post regarding a Sonny Murray Memorial Lecture has been added. In addition to the weekend events, Clare has many sessions happing throughout the week. I am likely to try to make Miltown Malbay, Ennistymon, and Feakle before the Friday activities tart up.

• 4 months later...

Full report to come. Might write it on the plane tomorrow. Let's just say, everything went better than expected with classes. The concertina clubs were well done by some pubs that I normally go to find a tune, and the premier performance of the Irish Concertina Ensemble was stunning. To hear a piccolo three C/Gs and a baritone playing both Newley composed pieces and arrangements of traditional music was breathtaking. The sense of humour, slagging and general happiness on the faces of the crowd all off the charts. An arranged version of Loftus Jones started things off, and the performance even had original compositions from Tim Collins with reference to Brian Boru's millennia. The full show from I.C.E will happen in august during the Festival, and if plans work out I will be there for it. A very nice adult turnout from various parts of Europe including the Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, France, Switzerland and the U.K. A pleasant surprise was another Floridian ( half of the year ) showed up. I spent the first part of my holiday enjoying session, hurling matches, and set downing before the weekend started. April is a wonderful time to be in Clare,not too quiet, not too busy. More to come when I have a chance to put it all together..