Jeffries/shakespeare Anglo

Paul Read

Hello Paul, I have a similar concertina 30 button + drone metal ended mine has C. Jeffries stamped on it but not in the Jeffries stile,what Both are instruments have in common is where the metal has been cut away it has left a saw blade like finish perhaps this could lead to finding the maker of these still very fine instruments.

Thanks Bazza. The internals look very much like a Jeffries or Crabb so it is definitely from that group of instruments such as these and Shakespeare. I thnik I advertised it quite poorly as I didn't mention that it was restored with new pads, valves and a fantastic set of 7-fold bellows. I originally got it from the son of a man who had died. It would be intersting to know if anyone (such as Geoff Crabb) has thoughts on it. For example, did Crabb ever make the bones of instruments for others to finish?

I thnik I advertised it quite poorly as I didn't mention that it was restored with new pads, valves and a fantastic set of 7-fold bellows.

You also didn't say how it was tuned. If you don't say these things, buyers on ebay will tend to assume it is in old pitch, and it at least needs a basic restoration of the pads and valves, etc. But given that you got a bid of only got a $1700, and meer tattiness wouldn't halve its value, I think you need to do a bit more still to work out how to communicate that it is a concertina of quality.

did Crabb ever make the bones of instruments for others to finish?

Well, it is known that instruments were supplied in kit form for one well known maker between 1895-1900 and parts were available for others. See this extract from the Crabb pricelist of that period. Click on it to enlarge.

Geoffrey

Edited by Geoffrey Crabb