Best Gig Comment Ever?

A few days ago I got this: "If that's what they play in France, I'm glad I live here!"

Does "body language" count? I don't know that it qualifies as a gig, but one time on a train platform I started playing (whistle, actually, not my concertina) in an attempt to distract and quiet a squalling baby. Not only did it work, but the kid was watching me closely, smiling and cooing (singing along?). And when my train came and I had to leave, he reached out toward me and cried a little (but didn't scream). Truly made my day. :)

While playing for a group of severely handicapped children, many of whom were strapped into special wheelchairs, a young girl who was able to walk came up to me with the wildest look in her eyes, staring right at me, veins bulging on her forehead, and screaming loudly and uncontrollably. Yikes!!!

Like an idiot I kept playing, and after what seemed like an eternity one of her parents sensed my alarm and came up and assured me that everything was fine, and that this was the only way she could show that she really enjoyed the music!

Gary

Well, not exactly a gig, and it didn't involve me in my capacity as a musician, but it was cute ...

My daughter sings in a top-notch church choir whose performances involve a whole day's rehearsal with the orchestra the day before. When our granddaughter was about 2 years old, my wife and I had the task of looking after her while Mum rehearsed. We went into the church to listen in on the reherasal - it was Bach, and either an oratorio or the B minor mass, with baroque instruments.

I sat entranced in a front pew with an entranced little girl on my lap, listening to Bach played to perfection. After a while, she turned and looked earnestly at me and lisped, "Das ist Musik!" ("That is music!")

Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings ... :)

Cheers,

John

Family story: my in-laws were at NEFFA (the New England Folk Festival, then in Natick, MA), in 1978 or thereabouts. They were sitting in the bleachers (it was held at the high school) watching dance performances when a bagpiper came out and began playing. My sister-in-law (then 3 or so) stood, pointed and demanded "STOP MAN!" at the top of her lungs.

History does not record the piper's reaction (or whether he even heard her).

It was a bright day, and I was wearing dark sunglasses - an item seldom needed or even seen in cloudy South Uist in the Outer Hebrides. We had settled in to a friend's caravan, with the help of a couple of local lads. After a welcoming bottle was passed, I brought out my EC and played a few tunes. One of our helpers turned to the other and said something in Scots Gaelic. I asked my Gaelic-speaking hostess what he had said. She smiled sweetly. "He said, you play very well - for a blind man."