Glass-Buttoned Rock Chidley

LeadFingersErnie

I know Hobgoblin had one of these in its London branch for a considerable time priced at £1695 - a very nice instrument but [seemed ot me to be - in my very humble opinion] expensive for a brass reeded instrument in the current market. I notice a box with the same description is now in their Canterbury branch. I guess the addage that something is worth what someone will pay for it holds - if this has a particularly attractive tone (or whatever) that makes it a 'must have' for someone.

Are you buying this as an 'antique' collectable/investment or because you want to play it?

If it is for playing then the state of the reeds, bellows, etc... is somewhat more important than the box it comes in.

If you do not play yourself then, at the price Hobgoblin is talking about, I think that you should try to get a second opinion on its value/playability from a player and/or a restorer.

Maybe you should also check with Theo and Chris Algar at Barleycorn on what they have to offer. The market for ECs seems to be a bit soft right now so you really don't want to overpay.

You should be able to find a nice Wheatstone or Lachenal from early 20th century for that price. A Lachenal New Model for example. If its fir playing it will be much better.

Was the New Model made in TT versions? I see extended-trebles now and then, but would be very interested in a TT and don't recall seeing one...

Yes, but they seem to be quite scarce, I see them very much less than Wheatstone TTs. I have seen both wooden and metal ended versions.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are you buying this as an 'antique' collectable/investment or because you want to play it?

If it is for playing then the state of the reeds, bellows, etc... is somewhat more important than the box it comes in.

If you do not play yourself then, at the price Hobgoblin is talking about, I think that you should try to get a second opinion on its value/playability from a player and/or a restorer.

Maybe you should also check with Theo and Chris Algar at Barleycorn on what they have to offer. The market for ECs seems to be a bit soft right now so you really don't want to overpay.

Over-late, I'll add that I played that instrument when it was at Hobgoblin in London. It is a gorgeous instrument - visually. Otherwise, I will simply say that the decision to not buy it was made quickly, although I did buy another one that day

Edited by Dave Marcus