Wheatstone Aeola Tenor Treble

Galley Wench

Yes, congratulations on the sale, and to the buyer.

Paul is correct. Here is that ad from the 1938 Salvation Army tutor, referred to above. They clearly call it New Model, and it clearly has a different range than the usual English.

(Well, I can't seem to include it or attached it to this posting. It's the last page of the Salvation Army English concertina tutorial book readily available on the web.

Mike

It's almost illegible in this copy, but they did offer it in six-side and octagonal models.

While even the "original" .PDF is not all that clear, this doesn't look to me like a riveted action. I think (based on some earlier discussion) that Lachenal made some octagonal instruments. Or am I wrong on this? (I suppose this discussion should be in some other section of the site by now, but it's here!)

Quite right gents. I was getting into the Lachenal terminology. Sorry about that but I do think the "New Model" term was not purely relates to the lower range as has been demonstrated above by Geoff and Mike. Looking at the description in Mike's attachment, however, it does talk about the lower range which in isolation could lead you to think "New Model" referred to the range. Congratulations on the sale Carol, it looked like a lovely instrument.

Edited by Paul Read

... I do think the "New Model" term was not purely relates to the lower range as has been demonstrated above by Geoff and Mike. Looking at the description in Mike's attachment, however, it does talk about the lower range which in isolation could lead you to think "New Model" referred to the range.

Seems to me that in that particular advertisement, it did refer to the lower range. I.e., what was "new" about that "model" was the lower range. In the ad Geoffrey posted, I suspect (I am somewhat guessing) that what was "new" was a cheaper standard model (of the Triumph=Crane) from Wheatstone.

The "error", if I may call it that, came from the Sally Army's "NEW MODEL" being interpreted as "New Model" (a name) rather than "new model" (a description).

... I do think the "New Model" term was not purely relates to the lower range as has been demonstrated above by Geoff and Mike. Looking at the description in Mike's attachment, however, it does talk about the lower range which in isolation could lead you to think "New Model" referred to the range.

The "error", if I may call it that, came from the Sally Army's "NEW MODEL" being interpreted as "New Model" (a name) rather than "new model" (a description).

Yes, exactly.

Congratulations on the sale Carol, it looked like a lovely instrument.

I can confirm that. Time to put my head above the parapet and say I am the fortunate buyer.

This may lead to me selling another of my instruments, but not just yet.

- John Wild