Wheatstone Aeola Tenor Treble

Galley Wench

I am now putting my Aeola tenor treble up for sale. I still have the treble edeophone for sale and am struggling to keep playing both. As there is insufficient interest in the edeophone I will sell the Aeola if it sells first. I am looking for £3,200. This concertina is well played and still the most beautiful concertina I have ever played. If someone is genuinely interested I will take some pictures and send. I don't want to do unless necessary - arthritis and the tiny screw drivers do not work well together!

Apologies for not picking up a couple of messages about the edeophone but was out of action for a while.

Carol AKA Galley Wench

Additional information

Serial number 33818 circa 1938/39

Eight sided

Metal ends

Steel reeds

Purchased from Chris Algar about 7 years ago.

No major repairs a couple of minor repairs done by David Elliot

I have never been a great concertina player but I think this concertina made me as good as could have ever been. It has a wonderful tone and I don't know how to technically explain it but in my words it is easy to play it almost plays itself! I play it about twice a month when playing with friends and only play simple melody tunes. I never got to grips with chords.

I will take some pictures tonight and send by email to anyone who is interested. I will try to pin to this message but I think I have experienced problems doing that before!

Carol

Carol says that the instrument has 48 keys. According to the number it is in fact a Model 17a, a 48 key tenor ( not tenor treble! ).

These are quite rare and desirable! I am lucky to own a similar tenor ( 33.0xx ), which used to belong to Alf Edwards...

It is an incredible instrument ( and I payed a good bit more for it! )...

I do hope that Carol's instrument will find a good home!

Carol says that the instrument has 48 keys. According to the number it is in fact a Model 17a, a 48 key tenor ( not tenor treble! ).

These are quite rare and desirable! I am lucky to own a similar tenor ( 33.0xx ), which used to belong to Alf Edwards...

It is an incredible instrument ( and I payed a good bit more for it! )...

I do hope that Carol's instrument will find a good home!

I thought I had bought a tenor treble! I can't find the original emails from Chris Algar but I will take your word for it that it is a tenor - I did wonder why people kept asking me if it had 56 or 64 keys.

I also hope it finds a good home. It really deserves to be played more than I play it.

Thank you for enlightening me!

Carol

Classifying the 48-button English with a lowest note an octave below middle C as "tenor" rather than "tenor treble" is, in my experience, a useful but relatively recent distinction. My understanding is that the Wheatstone company, at least before they were bought out, always used the term "tenor treble" regardless of the number of buttons.

Having said that, I agree with Robert regarding the rarity and demand for the 48-button version, especially if it's the same size as a standard 48-button treble. And the two I remember seeing were of that smaller size.

So... how big are the ends (distance "across the flats"). Also, will you tell us how much it weighs?

Edited by JimLucas

Classifying the 48-button English with a lowest note an octave below middle C as "tenor" rather than "tenor treble" is, in my experience, a useful but relatively recent distinction. My understanding is that the Wheatstone company, at least before they were bought out, always used the term "tenor treble" regardless of the number of buttons.

Having said that, I agree with Robert regarding the rarity and demand for the 48-button version, especially if it's the same size as a standard 48-button treble. And the two I remember seeing were of that smaller size.

So... how big are the ends (distance "across the flats"). Also, will you tell us how much it weighs?

Apologies for late reply. Had trouble getting to my postings on the web site. On my kitchen scales it weights just below 1.6kg. I am not at home to measure it but it is about 7" if you need me to be more accurate let me know.

Kind regards

Carol

Just to add to the general confusion, the Salvation Army referred to a 48 key Concertina, with the lowest note C below middle C, a the "New Model English Concertina".

It was intended to gratify English players who then envied the duet players who had the advantage of this lower range. It could be six or eight sided, depending on how affluent you were, and was frequently advertised in their 1935 tutor.

Les

i consider it the ultimate instrumental-dance or band-music concertina in terms of versatile range. OK, the baritone 48 and the baritone-treble also seem wonderful, though i haven't tried either. But the Tenor 48 is really something, imho. I'm baffled as to why it has been mainly regarded as playing a backup/song-accompaniment role, and hasn't been fully appreciated; used; or produced in any great numbers for the purpose it is reallyamazing for, namely, the ultimate small, compact free-reed box for instrumental-dance-music. i definitely would love to have a bright, loud, metal-ended one...

Edited by ceemonster

I too have the impression 48-tenors are a neglected market segment (and therefore an opportunity), though a few makers are now offering this model. I guess uses and demand in the old days must have been different. Music played in the extended-treble octave would be beyond the range of what is left of my hearing.

Good luck, hope this box finds a good home.

Ken

Just to add to the general confusion, the Salvation Army referred to a 48 key Concertina, with the lowest note C below middle C, a the "New Model English Concertina".

It was intended to gratify English players who then envied the duet players who had the advantage of this lower range. It could be six or eight sided, depending on how affluent you were, and was frequently advertised in their 1935 tutor.

Les

I think you're wrong there Les. I'll let others comment but as I understand it the "new model" tag was applied to the upgraded, raised end instrument that they came out with that was considered an improvement on the previous flat-ended instruments Nothing to do with the range. You could get New Model trebles, tenors, baritones and basses..

Edited by Paul Read

Les

I think you're wrong there Les. I'll let others comment but as I understand it the "new model" tag was applied to the upgraded, raised end instrument that they came out with that was considered an improvement on the previous flat-ended instruments Nothing to do with the range. You could get New Model trebles, tenors, baritones and basses..

I think we have to be careful in interpreting how the Salvation Army described instruments in their price lists and advertising. The reference to a new model invarialbly meant that it was NEW to their range of instruments procured and available via their Publishing & Supplies department.

For example this one page flyer for a 'New Model T.0. Triumph Concertina'

Geoff

Apologies to Carol for continuing this slight distraction from the purpose of the original posting.

Les

Not really wrong. The S.A. introduced this "New Model" , but never in the advertisement referred to it as a Tenor. As I said to start -- Just to add to the confusion, particularly as Wheatstone liked to call the raised ended models "New".

Paul, what you're describing is a Lachenal use of the term. The Salvation Army -- as Geoffrey has shown -- appears to have made independent use of the term in its broader meaning.