Kato Toru

twisper

When reading his comments about feeling hot in the summer holding a guitar or accordion against his body but feeling cool playing his concertina, all I could think of is that like so many Bastaris, his must be full of leaks, so he feels the cool breeze.

When reading his comments about feeling hot in the summer holding a guitar or accordion against his body but feeling cool playing his concertina, all I could think of is that like so many Bastaris, his must be full of leaks, so he feels the cool breeze.

Hi David...I know what you mean about the breeze! But Mr.Toru makes the best of it. Here's his interesting demonstration of the key possibilitie of a 40 button anglo using "Puff the Magic Dragon": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRtySQuQtN4

Thanks for posting the "Puff the Magic Dragon" video. It has inspired me to try playing a tune and chords in different keys on my Crane. I will need to find an easy tune that fits in the right hand. I have tried it on my EC with melodies, but never in so many keys. I usually just play the tunes in C, D, F, and G.

Hi David...I know what you mean about the breeze! But Mr.Toru makes the best of it. Here's his interesting demonstration of the key possibilitie of a 40 button anglo using "Puff the Magic Dragon": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRtySQuQtN4

Oh, Hi Forrest. I didn't notice it was you.

Can't seem to find a way to delete a post here. Must be a button somewhere......?

I believe this can only be done by the administration.

All you can do is edit a post and delete all its contents, leaving a shell.

Oh, Hi Forrest. I didn't notice it was you.

Can't seem to find a way to delete a post here. Must be a button somewhere......?

I believe this can only be done by the administration.

All you can do is edit a post and delete all its contents, leaving a shell.

Aha!.....That explains it.

He seems to like the Bastari/Stagi sounds (and not just winds) in general as well... :D

And musically, I like his version of BWV 115 Anh. (and its well known BWV 114 Anh. sidekick as well, which I use to play myself, but in a more "folky" way [alongside with Bach's own Bauerntanz/"Dance of the Rustics", or perhaps better "Peasants"], whereas he has this wonderful light touch on these...).

Thank you for the hint on this player, twisper! :)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

These is the downside of Auto Save (which is a good device otherwise) - unintenional double posting... :o

But I might use this posting to add that for this kind of [among others: J.S.B. and related] playing the accordionish Stagi sound may in fact be just accurate - and I never expected myself saying nice things of Stagi concertinas in any regard... B)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

I have had my share of Stagi products over the years, and I must say that I enjoyed the tone of some of them, but only when they were in tune, of course. This may be blasphemy to some. My dislikes involved unreliable button mechanisms, and ergonomics in regard to hand placement.

• 4 weeks later...

lovely stuff. and "Howl's Moving Castle," like all the works of the great Hayao Miyazaki, is a wonderful inspiration and source of beautiful music....I spent several blissful nights attending a Miyazaki festival in my city in February (saw "Howl's" for the first time--it's not "Princess Mononoke" but it's delightful), and the soundtracks are of a piece with the visual art and profound spirit of these films.....

i think the Bastari sounds great. I love the accordion-reeded sound, particularly for non-ITM folk genres, French, Eastern Europe, etc. Some of Miyazaki's stories have an unspecified rural-France-circa-late 1800s/early 1900s-ish ambience with French accordion-ish sounds on the track, and if memory serves, "Howl" is one of them....

Edited by ceemonster