I would be very grateful for advice from the C:net community regarding insurance of concertinas.

My requirement is for insurance that covers home use and use in folk clubs/festivals in an amateur capacity in the UK (and travelling between home and venue). Does anyone have good/bad experience of any particular policies/providers, recommendations etc?

My home insurance does not cover this requirement and my broker was (?rightly) sceptical that any insurer would cover the instruments within a general policy (given value, antiquity and their active use).

Any advice very much appreciated. It is planning for the worst eventuality, but I would be gutted to lose one of my boxes (not to mention the cost of replacement).

I've had my instruments insured with New Moon insurance for several years - reasonable rates and terms&conditions including cover for theft from unattended vehicles, new for old replacement, 30 days cover in Europe, etc. I've thankfully never had to make a claim so can't comment on that end of their business. They cover my & my wife's concertinas, my flute, and a few other odds & ends for a premium of approx. 65UKP.

I switched to them after many years with Musicians Insurance Services who offer similar cover but at much and increasingly higher premiums.

Another factor to consider is if you want insurance for the current value of your instruments, or insurance on a full replacement cost new-for-old basis. The latter will obviously cost more, but you may feel the benefits justify it.

I had to claim with MIS on a couple of occasions for broken microphones and they paid up promptly. I always had good service from them but switched to New Moon as they were cheaper. I've no claims experience with them, but I've seen good reports about them on melodeon.net.

Both insurers offer protection while the instrument is left in a locked vehicle, which in my opinion is well worth paying the extra premium for.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just bought a vintage Wheatstone as an amateur & my house insurers were happy to cover it as a specified item at home or away for up to 60 days at its value. If I inform them of change in value with valuation certificate at any time in the future they will amend the replacement price. RBS. £20 per annum. Is that reasonable? I thought so as it's worth nearly £4k.

Edited by Late Boxer

I've just bought a vintage Wheatstone as an amateur & my house insurers were happy to cover it as a specified item at home or away for up to 60 days at its value. If I inform them of change in value with valuation certificate at any time in the future they will amend the replacement price. RBS. £20 per annum. Is that reasonable? I thought so as it's worth nearly £4k.

Worth checking whether they cover your concertina while locked in car. Our house insurance will only cover up to £1000 for that circumstance.

A year ago, I would have given a different answer, as we had several years back two guitars stolen out of the car, and the insurance company promptly paid up. The same company unfortunately gave us a really rough time of it this spring after the furnace fire some ten years later. Our new company does cover the instruments under a rider in our new home owners policy for the circumstances you describe. Fortunately, our agent does understand musicians and was able to give us guidance. His cousins own the local Irish pub that regularly books in bands. Unfortanately, we live here in the States, so our experiences probably does not apply but it might help the folks on this side of the pond.

Alan

In another conversation on the same topic this week on Facebook I'm getting good reports about Allianz Musical, http://allianzmusicalinsurance.co.uk.

It's also been pointed out in the other discussion that household insurers may cover the instrument for loss/damage in transit - but any suggestion that you've left the vehicle unattended, and/or used the instrument in any paid or unpaid public performance (including sessions, Morris sides, religious activity, etc.), may well invalidate the cover.

I'd rather pay the money and have the peace of mind that the insurers know and explicitly cover what I'm going to be doing with the instruments.

[Edit:corrected spelling of Allianz]

Edited by Steve Mansfield

In another conversation on the same topic this week on Facebook I'm getting good reports about Allianz Musical, http://allianzmusicalinsurance.co.uk.

It's also been pointed out in the other discussion that household insurers may cover the instrument for loss/damage in transit - but any suggestion that you've left the vehicle unattended, and/or used the instrument in any paid or unpaid public performance (including sessions, Morris sides, religious activity, etc.), may well invalidate the cover.

I'd rather pay the money and have the peace of mind that the insurers know and explicitly cover what I'm going to be doing with the instruments.

[Edit:corrected spelling of Allianz]

That's very interesting.

I've just phoned my home insurance company & they will only insure up to £1000 if left in a car unattended. That's the limit for any item in this circumstance.

Phoned Allianz and they will replace to the the full value, but the quote was just under £94 pa. I suppose it depends on personal circumstance whether that is considered necessary or not. They were very helpful & it iseems to cover a great deal for the money if these aspects are considered necessary to be in place.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd update my comments on this thread. I've been investigating a bit further now I'm taking the concertina out more & it's interesting what your home insurance doesnt tell you unless you ask.

I've already posted that I had to ask before I was told there was a lower limit than the value of my concertina if left in the car. I haven't been happy to leave the box in the car anyway as I like to keep my eye on it. However, I had a good discussion with the guy at Newmoon after getting a quote online today & learned a lot more.

For instance:

- many house insurances iinsure for theft from the home,. but their definition may require it to be forced entry/evidence of act of aggression against the property in breaking in.

- household insurance may not fully cover if you drop your instrument whilst transporting it, eg. to your car.

- household insurance may not fully cover if you loan it to someone in a club & they drop it!

- household insurance won't may not cover where the box is held in premises where the security of those premises are outside of your control (eg. a hotel, bar, etc.

I was saddened to see someone had had their concertina stolen from under the table they were dining at in a restaurant & it really brought it home tpo me how vigilant we need to be. The loss of a vintage box is far more than the financial value, but to lose the finances as well when it could be covered....well I decided to go ahead!!

As a matter of interest, my insurance has cost just under £60 & I calculated this was a reasonable price considering all of the above is covered with no excess. I feel a lot happier now...& I've got some refund on the house insurance whrn cancelling it!!

All very worrying. I've just added my lovely newly acquired aeola to my house insurance, supposedly covering it away from home.

Many years ago I had an uninsured Castagnari melodeon (in the days when there weren't many about) stolen from my car. You can bet the thieves had no idea what they were taking or what it was worth.

Since then I've insured everything. I was with Allianz but decided a while back that putting things on house insurance was a good idea. Certainly cheaper - except that they charge me £20 on top of the extra premium if I add anything mid-term!

After reading this thread, I shall go back to my insurer and check the cover.