Summertime On The Concertina

Randy Stein

In the recent reposting of Leo's Sept 5th there was a version of Peter Trimming playing Gershwin's Summertime . It is one of my favorite tunes and I have posted my two versions, one solo and one with my former jazz trio as well as a couple of others. Not exactly TOTM but cool none the less. Enjoy

Peter Trimming Plays: Summertime
http://www.youtube.c...ho6-wT8Y&fmt=18

Randy Stein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtTs16D_qTo

Jazz Shed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP5ZD6VJnmM

Rodger French Trio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6d7Hr2R9xY

Morne Goosen, Die Stellenboys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMUu-jPbTQo

Edited by Randy Stein

I was hoping there might be other arrangements, renditions, etc out there

I got that, and really would like to give the tune a try myself. But given the amount of unpostponable work to be done these days I'll have to save that demanding project for later....

summertime.mp3This is one of my first 'party pieces'. I thought I'll just get out the zoom and knock out a recording...I've forgotten how to play it.

So thank you Randy for drawing my attention to how neglected it is; I'd probably have tried to trot it out for an audience, crashed and burned and thought 'Bloody nerves again!' whereas the truth would have been poor preparation and entirely my own fault.

Anyway so here's an old recording; the David Cornell duet arrangement freely available on the interweb played on a largish Wheatstone duet

Actually that's awful isn't it? Sorry folks; I thought the crackles were just on our aged computer speakers but now I think they are on the recording.

Glad you could get something out of it Wolf.

Well done Randy and Dirge.... very nice performances each.

I've worked on the David Cornell arrangement and I still don't get it to flow the way Dirge does... sounds horrible when I do it. Time to try again I guess... and having had the great pleasure of hearing Dirge's version LIVE.. I know it is not "smoke and mirrors" ! :)

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Anyway so here's an old recording; the David Cornell duet arrangement freely available on the interweb played on a largish Wheatstone duet

Nicely done.

And speaking of David C., does anyone know where he is and what he's doing these days? It's been a while since I've seen a current reference.

Nicely done.

And speaking of David C., does anyone know where he is and what he's doing these days? It's been a while since I've seen a current reference.

Thanks Jim; and the answer is he has Parkinson's disease, poor chap.

I got this from Leslie Henneker who I met at Swaledale; she has had a lot to do with David, indeed I think most of the music she plays are his arrangements which he has shared with her, so she is in regular email contact and this sad news came from her.

Beautiful, Dirge. And note that I am taking note.... this file is of YOU.... :)

So I won't just download it and then wonder 'who' in a year or more. (Sometimes, if the old shoulder is hurting when I'm at the computer, information gets sketchy, I'm in a hurry, etc..)

I still have your Debussy 'Afternoon..' on my playlist on my MP3 player... it's playing right at this moment as a matter of fact. I have the list on constant repeat, um, don't take this wrong, but... because the dog really likes it.

We BOTH like it... but, I have a nervous dog and she needs to keep calm when I'm not right here, and the music helps.

Beautiful, Dirge. And note that I am taking note.... this file is of YOU.... :)

So I won't just download it and then wonder 'who' in a year or more. (Sometimes, if the old shoulder is hurting when I'm at the computer, information gets sketchy, I'm in a hurry, etc..)

I still have your Debussy 'Afternoon..' on my playlist on my MP3 player... it's playing right at this moment as a matter of fact. I have the list on constant repeat, um, don't take this wrong, but... because the dog really likes it.

We BOTH like it... but, I have a nervous dog and she needs to keep calm when I'm not right here, and the music helps.

Thanks Wendy, that's really nice of you. I'll try and do you a cleaner recording. As I said i need to polish it first.

And I have a huge amount of time for dogs so no problem!

...speaking of David C., does anyone know where he is and what he's doing these days?.

...the answer is he has Parkinson's disease, poor chap.

That's very sad tp hear. David has always been very generous, as well as a great talent.

Dirge, I don't know when the "older" recording was done, and I hope not to offend you when saying that I seem to prefer the somewhat lighter touch of the first recording (inspite of the technical dirt). At least it was you anyway... :)

Fine by me; I can't hear beyond the distortion on the old one. I rushed the new one i thought.