Don't Tangle With Those Concertina People

I don't want to offend anyone--but the topic is just too ???????? to resist. I'm sure you can google the story in full in the Milwaukee newspaper. There is a great little neighborhood corner bar the is called Kochanski's Concertina Beer Hall. Hubbie has taken me there twice just so I can itch my concertina tickle. It really is the home of the bigger boys: chimnitzers especially are favored by the polka crowd. But it is such silly fun--how can you resist perioldically? Well, the cute ol' neighborhood is getting a little rough around the edges these day, as is typical of these older places. Last night three guys with heads covered, and guns drawn--tried to rob the place while it was open and with patrons present. The bar owner and 'tender last night--also drew his weapon--and shot one of the hoodlums dead. I am sorry for the death--but I am cheering for the concertinas ! ....... Don't be messing with those concertina guys...... And in tonight's news it is sounding like the bar owner will be OK--and the police will actually pursue prosecuting the hold up guys. Let's all play nice, kids.

Well, Michelle,

Perhaps you need to leave your Wheatstone concertina (with a "C", not a "K") at home but take along your taser which no doubt in someway employs the principal of the Wheatstone bridge. You can "shock" anyone who gets out of line with your complete knowledge of Professor Wheatstone, his inventions and their application.

Stay safe!

Greg

Some years back I went to a regular session at Eagle Tavern in NYC. About 3 hours into the evening a group of rough looking lads came in and encountered a rival group. Shouting ensued, I believe a couple of knives were drawn.

We played a slip jig and kept drinking.

rss

I don't want to offend anyone--but the topic is just too ???????? to resist. I'm sure you can google the story in full in the Milwaukee newspaper. There is a great little neighborhood corner bar the is called Kochanski's Concertina Beer Hall. Hubbie has taken me there twice just so I can itch my concertina tickle. It really is the home of the bigger boys: chimnitzers especially are favored by the polka crowd. But it is such silly fun--how can you resist perioldically? Well, the cute ol' neighborhood is getting a little rough around the edges these day, as is typical of these older places. Last night three guys with heads covered, and guns drawn--tried to rob the place while it was open and with patrons present. The bar owner and 'tender last night--also drew his weapon--and shot one of the hoodlums dead. I am sorry for the death--but I am cheering for the concertinas ! ....... Don't be messing with those concertina guys...... And in tonight's news it is sounding like the bar owner will be OK--and the police will actually pursue prosecuting the hold up guys. Let's all play nice, kids.

Maybe they were music critics?

Been there - got the t-shirt.

It used to be Art Altenburg's concertina bar, and when we visited in 2005, Art was still in residence.

It was much quieter when we visited (in the mid afternoon), and we had a great afternoon, with Art playing his big Chemnitzer, & I squeezed out a few tunes on my G/D Kookaburra.

We also had a few drinks and left feeling very mellow.

(is there a "nostalgic" smiley? B) )