Whitby Folk Festival

Planning to have a few days in Whitby during the Whitby FF.

Any tips on English & Euro sessions?

There was a good Euro session in the Elsinore last year.

Any other good concertina-related or fringe events worth considering?

Thanks

Steve

I will be in the Trade Fair all week located in the Leisure Centre for the whole week. I'll have a few concertinas for sale that anyone is welcome to try :) , and I will be able to do a range of running repairs. Also selling instruments on commission.

The Board has mainly English sessions each night, and Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, if I remember rightly, the other afternoons are a mix of mainly American and English. Ish.

The Elsinore also has slightly more mixed evening sessions, plenty of English music. Often with a trombone.

Have fun!

Joy

I've just put this on the topic headed 'Whitby Folk Week' - apologies for the duplication but it seems the easiest way of replying.

Spare Parts Concertina Band is running sessions for all concertina systems in the Conservative Club bar every morning from 11.30 a.m. – 12.50 p.m. from Monday until Friday. We'll be taking two sets of the arranged tunes (all in three-part harmony) we've worked on to the final workshop concert from 1.30 - 4.30 on Friday in the Spa Pavilion Hall. We will also record the end results in the calmer atmosphere of the workshops so that we can send you a memento of what we have done together.

You can download the tunes in midis and pdfs from here: http://www.sparepart....uk/SPTunes.php The midis include the parts separately played at slow and normal speeds. Feel free to try them even if you can't come to the workshops. They will suit any melody instrument.

On Monday and Wednesday we'll work on South Downs (Jim Harding) / Mrs Casey (Set A). On Tuesday and Thursday we'll do the same for Scottish Gabriele Chaffiotte / Quare Fellow Shot-ese (Set). On Friday we'll polish up both sets ready for the showcase in the afternoon.

To provide variety we'll also play an extra, easier arrangement each day but we're not aiming to get those ready for performance unless people particularly want to do them. The other tunes are French Minuet, Jemmy Twinkles Wish, Jack Come Kiss Me Now and Harliquin Air.

Monday 19th. August 11.30 a.m. – 12.50 p.m.
Set A - South Downs (Jim Harding) / Mrs Casey
Bonus Tune - French Minuet

Tuesday 20th. August 11.30 a.m. – 12.50 p.m.
Set B - ScottishGabriele Chaffiotte / Quare Fellow Shot-ese
Bonus Tune - Jemmy Twinkles Wish

Wednesday 21st. August 11.30 a.m. – 12.50 p.m.
Bonus Tune - Jack Come Kiss Me Now

Thursday 22nd. August 11.30 a.m. – 12.50 p.m.
Set B - Gabriele Chaffiotte / Quare Fellow Shot-ese
Bonus Tune - Harliquin Air

Friday 23rd. August 11.30 a.m. – 12.50 p.m.
Polish up both sets of tunes for the Workshop Showcase in the Spa Pavilion Hall 1.30 - 4.30.

The Eurosession moved to the Yacht Club halfway through the week last year (WAY better than the Elsinore) and there were thoughts about keeping it there for this year. Among other things, it has room for people to dance.

Spot? Is that arranged?

Not heard anything definite yet, my source of info is with the Morris sde at Sidmouth and won't be back until the weekend, will post on this thread and http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15135] .....the other Whitby thread .... when there's any news :D

Edited by anlej

:D a quick look through the programme for concertina events shows the following ...... apologies for any I miss ....

Sunday:

10.00 - 11.20 Spa Theatre bar upstairs Beginners English Concertina Workshop with Alex Wade £5

11.30 - 12.50 Spa Theatre bar upstairs Tunes of Scan Tester with Will Duke £5

11.30 - 12.50 Coliseum Tunes of William Clarke of Feltwell Nick & Mary Barber with Mary Humphries and Anahata leading the session £5

1.00 - 2.20 West Cliff School class 1 Children's concertina workshop with Alex Wade, 11 starter concertinas to have a go on £5

1.00 - 3.00 Consevative Club bar Music session with Alistair Anderson donations

5.00 - 7.00 Middle Earth Music session Will Duke with Derrick Hughes and Joy Lewis donations

Monday:

11.30 - 12.50 Conservative Club bar Concertina Workshop Part Playing (intermediate) with Spare Parts Concertina Band £5

1.00 - 3.00 Fisherman's Rowing Club Music Session with Spare parts Concertina Band donations

Tuesday:

10.00 - 11.20 Spa Theatre bar upstairs Intermediate Anglo Concertina with Brian Peters £5

11.30 - 12.50 Conservative Club Bar Concertina Part Playing (intermediate) Spare Parts Concertina Band £5

1.00 - 3.00 Conservative Club bar Music session with Mary Humphries and Ananhata donations

5.00 - 7.00 Fisherman's Rowing Club Music session with Brian Peters donations

Wednesday:

10.00 - 11.20 Spa Theatre Bar upstairs Beginners English ConcertinaWorkshop with Alex Wade £5

11.30 - 12.50 Consevative Club bar Concertina Part Playing Spare Parts Concertina Band £5

5.00 - 7.00 Middle Earth Music Session with Spare Parts Concertina Band donations

Thursday:

11.30 - 12.50 Conservative Club bar Concertina part Playing with Spare Parts Concertina Band £5

5.00 - 6.00 Spa Theatre and Hour with 'The Sultans of Squeeze' Alan Ball introduces John Kirkpatrick and Chris Parkinson £9

5.00 - 7.00 Fisherman's Rowing Club Music session with Dan Quinn and Will Duke donations

Friday:

11.30 - 12.50 Conservative Club bar Concertina Part Playing Spare Parts Concertina Band £5

plus all the impromptu sessions in pubs throughout the week :D

Euro session update :D

info from Tufty over on Melnet ...........

Whitby Folk Week Euro Session (3 - 5pm) each day from Saturday, 17 Aug onwards at The Yacht Club. There will be someone in the clubhouse so that everyone will be able to get in all right. Coffee and drinks will be available at the bar and out of courtesy can we please not eat our own food on their premises. The entrance to the club is at the bottom of the The Khyber Pass and the room is on the first floor looking out over the bandstand

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note to say that I shall be bringing a few of Ralph Jordan's CD "Eloise" with me up to Whitby. If you haven't already got a copy, and would like one I shall be around (mostly things like the ballad sessions, folk club, Traditional evenings at the Football club etc, although I have intentions of trying to get to Spare Parts sessions at least once). The CD was very favourably reviewed in "English Dance and Song" when it came out , and is a lovely eclectic mix of music ranging through Bach, Mats Eden, "The Navy Lark", Roger Tallroth's "Josefins Dopvals" etc played by Ralph on his Maccann Duet Aeola, and with backing from guitar, bass guitar, bouzouki, harmonium etc (again all played by him). Yours for the princely sum of £10.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just joined up having given in to temptation at Whitby and bought a Connor anglo (seems very nice). After 30+ years of melodeons I suspect it will be a challenge coping with another instrument, as my first attempt at a tune shows http://soundcloud.com/tuftyabc/nutting-girl

Can anyone advise on a good book on the English/Morris style of playing? I went along to Brian Peters' workshop which probably saved me weeks of going up blind alleys but a book would be nice.

Hi, just joined up having given in to temptation at Whitby and bought a Connor anglo (seems very nice). After 30+ years of melodeons I suspect it will be a challenge coping with another instrument, as my first attempt at a tune shows http://soundcloud.com/tuftyabc/nutting-girl

Can anyone advise on a good book on the English/Morris style of playing? I went along to Brian Peters' workshop which probably saved me weeks of going up blind alleys but a book would be nice.

You will not do better than this... available everywhere including the Button Box.

Anglo Concertina in the Harmonic Style - Gary Coover

This tutor will teach you how to play the 30-button Anglo concertina with chords and full harmonies in a wide variety of musical styles. In addition to tunes and exercises for beginning players, this tutor also presents more difficult tunes that have been carefully transcribed from recordings of the top Anglo concertina players of the last several decades. 108pp.

Just for fun, here are recordings of three of the arrangements being practised: South Downs / Mrs. Casey https://soundcloud.com/valmai/south-casey-wednesday Harliquin Air https://soundcloud.com/valmai/harliquin-air-thursday Jack Come Kiss Me Now https://soundcloud.com/valmai/jack-come-kiss-me-now

I've just put this on the topic headed 'Whitby Folk Week' - apologies for the duplication but it seems the easiest way of replying.

Spare Parts Concertina Band is running sessions for all concertina systems in the Conservative Club bar every morning from 11.30 a.m. – 12.50 p.m. from Monday until Friday. We'll be taking two sets of the arranged tunes (all in three-part harmony) we've worked on to the final workshop concert from 1.30 - 4.30 on Friday in the Spa Pavilion Hall. We will also record the end results in the calmer atmosphere of the workshops so that we can send you a memento of what we have done together.

You can download the tunes in midis and pdfs from here: http://www.sparepart....uk/SPTunes.php The midis include the parts separately played at slow and normal speeds. Feel free to try them even if you can't come to the workshops. They will suit any melody instrument.

On Monday and Wednesday we'll work on South Downs (Jim Harding) / Mrs Casey (Set A). On Tuesday and Thursday we'll do the same for Scottish Gabriele Chaffiotte / Quare Fellow Shot-ese (Set). On Friday we'll polish up both sets ready for the showcase in the afternoon.

To provide variety we'll also play an extra, easier arrangement each day but we're not aiming to get those ready for performance unless people particularly want to do them. The other tunes are French Minuet, Jemmy Twinkles Wish, Jack Come Kiss Me Now and Harliquin Air.

Monday 19th. August 11.30 a.m. – 12.50 p.m.
Bonus Tune - French Minuet

Tuesday 20th. August 11.30 a.m. – 12.50 p.m.
Set B - ScottishGabriele Chaffiotte / Quare Fellow Shot-ese
Bonus Tune - Jemmy Twinkles Wish

Wednesday 21st. August 11.30 a.m. – 12.50 p.m.
Bonus Tune - Jack Come Kiss Me Now

Thursday 22nd. August 11.30 a.m. – 12.50 p.m.
Set B - Gabriele Chaffiotte / Quare Fellow Shot-ese
Bonus Tune - Harliquin Air

Friday 23rd. August 11.30 a.m. – 12.50 p.m.
Polish up both sets of tunes for the Workshop Showcase in the Spa Pavilion Hall 1.30 - 4.30.

Edited by Valmai Goodyear