Tune Of The Month For August, 2013: The Abbess

Jim Besser

Well, it was incredibly close - and you can bet the runners up will show up in future TOTM polls - but we have a winner: Andy Cutting's beautiful tune The Abbess.

I was intrigued by this tune because it is so obviously an outstanding melodeon tune that has great potential on concertina, as well. I'm posting it here with Andy's kind permission. (Visit Andy's Website here. )

Here's a pretty version with two melodeons. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wlIt-DZqfh4

And another: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=B1ytDwuTkeI

I've seen several ABC renderings of this tune floating around on the Web that don't look real authoritative (and which don't cite the composer). Here's what looks to me like the best rendering of this fantastic tune, taken from melodeon.net (PDF also attached):

X:1
T:Abbess, The
M:4/4
L:1/8
Q:1/4=140
C:Andy Cutting
Z:Peter Dunk 2011
K:G
G2 |:"G"B4 "D7"B3 "G/F#"c | "G" d3 "G/F#"G G2 "Em"Bd | "C" e2 e2- edcB | "Am"cBAG "D7"d2 GF |!
"C"E2 c2 "Am"A3 F | "Bm"D2 d2 "G"BA"Em"GF |"C" E2 cB "D7"AB/A/ "C"GF |1"Gsus4"G4-GDGA :|2 "Gsus4"G4- GA"G"Bc |!
|:"G"d4 "C"e3 d | "Am"cBAG "D7"d2 dc | "Bm"BAGF "Em"E2 cB | "Bm"BAAB "D"D2 GF |!
"C"E2 c2 "Am"A3 F | "Bm"D2 d2 "G"BA"Em"GF |"C" E2 cB "D7"AB/A/ "C"GF | "G"G4- GA"Gsus4"Bc |!
dGBd "Em"e2 ed | "Am"cBce "D"ddef | "G"gBfg "Em"e2 dB | "C"cBef "D7"d3 c |!
M:6/4
"Bm"BAGF "C" E2 c2 "Am"A3 F | [M:4/4]"Bm"D2 d2 "G"BA"Em"GF | "C"E2 cB "D7"AB/A/ GF |1 "C"G4- GDGA :|2 "G"G8 |]

As usual, the TOTM challenge is to take a tune and make it your own.

And remember: this is not a competition, it's a learning and sharing experience. Nobody expects perfection. Feel free to experiment. If G doesn't work for you, change the key (helpful hint: with ABCs, that's really easy to do. (Andy plays it in C on his wonderful self-titled CD). One quick method: go to this site, paste in the ABCs, and use the buttons to change keys. Then recopy the results, paste them into the c.net Tune-a-Tron, and presto: notation in the key you want).

So have at it and have fun!

The abbess in G.pdf

Edited by Jim Besser

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a Spotify link: Andy Cutting – The Abbess I hope to Andy Cutting playing the Abbess. It is in C but more importantly there is no repeat for the B part.

Graham

Thanks, Graham. I didn't post this because I don't know if non-Spotify subscribers can hear it.

It's a fabulous CD, by the way.

...there is no repeat for the B part.

This had already been my guess just from reading the dots (due to the extent of the B part).

Will require a "DC al fine" in the end then - don't kow how to do it with ABC (inserted just another repeat sign after note one as a workaround), but of course how to play it... :D

G2 [|:[|:"G"B4 "D7"B3 "G/F#"c | "G" d3 "G/F#"G G2 "Em"Bd | "C" e2 e2- edcB | "Am"cBAG "D7"d2 GF |!
"C"E2 c2 "Am"A3 F | "Bm"D2 d2 "G"BA"Em"GF |"C" E2 cB "D7"AB/A/ "C"GF |1"Gsus4"G4-GDGA :|2 "Gsus4"G4- GA"G"Bc |!
"G"d4 "C"e3 d | "Am"cBAG "D7"d2 dc | "Bm"BAGF "Em"E2 cB | "Bm"BAAB "D"D2 GF |!
"C"E2 c2 "Am"A3 F | "Bm"D2 d2 "G"BA"Em"GF |"C" E2 cB "D7"AB/A/ "C"GF | "G"G4- GA"Gsus4"Bc |!
"Bm"BAGF "C" E2 c2 "Am"A3 F | [M:4/4]"Bm"D2 d2 "G"BA"Em"GF | "C"E2 cB "D7"AB/A/ GF |1 "C"G4- GDGA :|2 "G"G8 |]
(someone will do better, I'm sure)

Above all - thank you Pete for the quite helpful transscription!

Edited by blue eyed sailor

At Last!

A tune I voted for wins.

Have had a listen around and there are several nice versions on Youtube, untill you come across Andy Cutting playing the piece.... then the old adage " it's not what but how you play that is important".

Thanks Peter for the dots and thanks Jim for all your hard work... here's my version. :wacko: .... err no not quite yet... must finnish last months tune before starting this one... holidays and all that!

Geoff.

... must finnish last months tune before starting this one...

I'm planning the reverse. I haven't yet managed a submission for any of the Tunes of the Month, so I figured I should start with this one and then work my way backward.

But before the finish will almost certainly come the Finnish, as I'll be travelling to Helsinki later this month for a Morris tour with the Helsinki Morrisers, Stockholm's Eken Morris, and Sarum Morris from Salisbury. I don't know about Sarum, but the tour will have at least one concertina with the Helsinki side, and Eken has one strong concertina, plus a couple of aspiring players who haven't yet played for the dancing, plus myself as a guest.

(If one of the sides dances Old Molly Oxford, I guess we should record it, just in case it wins a future TotM poll. ;))

Will require a "DC al fine" in the end then - don't kow how to do it with ABC (inserted just another repeat sign after note one as a workaround), but of course how to play it... :D

DC al fine can only be written in quotation marks, the words will appear but they have no musical significance as far as abc is concerned. !D.C.! will get you the proper italic/bold script but again it has no effect on the midi playback. There are times when I have to admit that abc lacks refinement.

I don't recall doing the original transcription as it happens, it too lacks refinement - I'm almost ashamed of it! :wacko: :ph34r: B)

... must finnish last months tune before starting this one...

I'm planning the reverse. I haven't yet managed a submission for any of the Tunes of the Month, so I figured I should start with this one and then work my way backward.

But before the finish will almost certainly come the Finnish, as I'll be travelling to Helsinki later this month for a Morris tour with the Helsinki Morrisers, Stockholm's Eken Morris, and Sarum Morris from Salisbury. I don't know about Sarum, but the tour will have at least one concertina with the Helsinki side, and Eken has one strong concertina, plus a couple of aspiring players who haven't yet played for the dancing, plus myself as a guest.

(If one of the sides dances Old Molly Oxford, I guess we should record it, just in case it wins a future TotM poll. ;))

Funny how Morris stuff gets in the way of everything else. Looks like I'll miss the northeast squeeze in this year because of a Morris weekend in Charlottesville.

But we all look forward to your TOTM contributions, not to put pressure on you or anything!

An initial take in C on a C/G Lachenal/Dipper.

And in G a G/D Jeffries.

Haven't decided which key/concertina I prefer for this tune.

It needs more work. I have a problem playing smoothly - the combination of being a Morris musician and playing an Anglo disposes me to a punchier style that doesn't work well for tunes like this. I find the B part of this tune wonderful to listen to, difficult to play smoothly.

But I'll get there.

Edited by Jim Besser

Here is a Spotify link: Andy Cutting – The Abbess I hope to Andy Cutting playing the Abbess. It is in C but more importantly there is no repeat for the B part.

Graham

Thanks, Graham. I didn't post this because I don't know if non-Spotify subscribers can hear it.

When I clicked the link I was asked to sign in to my facebook account. Which I don't have.

I was able, however, to hear a brief sample of Andy Cutting's performance on this page at amazon.com.

Graham

When I clicked the link I was asked to sign in to my facebook account. Which I don't have.

I was able, however, to hear a brief sample of Andy Cutting's performance on this page at amazon.com.

There is a nice version on Youtube, just search " The Abbess" and find Andy playing it, with another tune (Old Light and The Abbess), at Lewes Folk club last November.... so quite an up to date version and beautifully played. The Abbess starts at about 2mins 30.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

There is a nice version on Youtube, just search " The Abbess" and find Andy playing it, with another tune (Old Light and The Abbess), at Lewes Folk club last November.... so quite an up to date version and beautifully played. The Abbess starts at about 2mins 30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3XMGlbUYpI - thanks for that, not an AC video I'd seen before. The video is minorly marred by whichever eejit in the audience is humming along (completely out of key and obviously not knowing the tune very well), but a lovely version as ever, and a mountain for the rest of us to climb!

It is here. Very interesting. Unlike on the commercial release, he plays it in G. And he ends the performance after two A sections. As I suspected, much of the detail is revealed to be just ornamentation, that he plays differently every time. The difference, for instance, between the first measure of the B section and eight measures later.

Getting back to Wolf's conundrum, the problem is that neither abc nor standard music notation provides a graceful way to say "repeat ad lib linking the end to the beginning with these notes but finally ending without them."

Here's my solution. It loses the initial quarter note G, but I don't hear many folks playing it that way, anyway.

|:DGA |"G"B4 "D7"B3 "G/F#"c | "G" d3 "G/F#"G G2 "Em"Bd | "C" e2 e2- edcB | "Am"cBAG "D7"d2 GF |!
"C"E2 c2 "Am"A3 F | "Bm"D2 d2 "G"BA"Em"GF |"C" E2 cB "D7"AB/A/ "C"GF |1"Gsus4"G4-G :|2 "Gsus4"G4- GA"G"Bc ||!
"G"d4 "C"e3 d | "Am"cBAG "D7"d2 dc | "Bm"BAGF "Em"E2 cB | "Bm"BAAB "D"D2 GF |!
"Bm"BAGF "C" E2 c2 "Am"A3 F | [M:4/4]"Bm"D2 d2 "G"BA"Em"GF | "C"E2 cB "D7"AB/A/ GF | "G"G4- G |]
Edited by David Barnert

As part of yesterday's rehearsal for The Squeezers, Randy Stein and I had a go at this great tune, with some interesting chord experimentation. Randy on Wheatstone English, me on Jeffries G/D Anglo.

https://soundcloud.com/concertinist/squeezers-the-abbess-c-net

Edited by Jim Besser