Poll: Tune Of The Month For August, 2013

Jim Besser

Tune of the Month, August 2013  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Probably the close voting this month is directly caused by double voting: only 20 people voting, each for half of the list. This is almost like voting between only two options with single vote. So I vote for going back to the old method next month. [this reminds me a classic polish film "Rejs", and a scene were there is a debate on "which method of voting should be chosen to vote on the voting method of the actual vote" :D]

Fascinating. Over the Waterfall is one of the first fiddle tunes I ever became aware of - I heard it from Don McLean in a set with Arkansaw Traveller on one of his early records. Because of your amazing selection, Jim, it only came out third on my list though. Well, that makes it a chance of 75% that one of my favs is going to make it! :-) Now I finally gotta wrap up Roslynne Castle to clear my mind for whichever feast is to come! :-)

Really interesting how close the voting is this month!

Really interesting that 'true to form' out of four I voted for 3 & 4!. so far anyway . . .

Folks - if you haven't voted for the August TOTM, please do so now. We have a tie, and I haven't really thought of what we'll do if Aug. 1 comes around and we don't have a winner! So relieve my stress, vote.

It would be interesting to compare the final results of this vote with a parallel survey of the same four tunes that only allows a single vote (the old method).

Would be interesting, but alas, not possible. There's no way guarantee that all and only the same individuals would vote... or even that their preferences might not have changed in the meantime.

Probably the close voting this month is directly caused by double voting: only 20 people voting, each for half of the list. This is almost like voting between only two options with single vote. So I vote for going back to the old method next month.

I, too, am in favor of returning to the "vote for one (or none)" type of poll. Ties would still be possible, but it's simpler. The added complexity of the "vote for two (or fewer)" doesn't seem to have reduced the number of folks wishing for some other variant that they hope would allow them to express their own particular complex opinion. (For those who want to be able to vote twice for a single tune, I'm pretty sure that's not an option with the current software, except by listing each candidate twice.) Anybody who still wants to express a more detailed opinion can do so in the thread of posts attached to the poll (as many have already done), or by starting their own Topic=thread.

We couldn't solve the problem of a tie with a runoff vote, because that would require extra time. And having two "tunes of the month" would dilute the efforts of folks already struggling to find time to participate.

Really, the only viable solution if there is a tie (at the moment the tie has been broken), would be for Jim B. to choose a winner. (Maybe he would consider withholding his own vote unless and until it is needed to break a tie, like the American Vice President in the United States Senate?)

...this reminds me a classic polish film "Rejs", and a scene were there is a debate on "which method of voting should be chosen to vote on the voting method of the actual vote" :D

Admittedly a digression, but that reminds me of a meeting I was at where someone objected to the way a discussion and vote were handled by the chairman, complaining that we weren't following precisely Robert's Rules of Order. The chairman responded that while those particular procedural rules were in common use, nothing in our bylaws or any previous vote of the organization required us to follow them, and that as chairman he had both the authority and responsibility to run the meeting as he saw fit. B)

For those who are interested in procedures, here's what I've decided.

- In the event of a tie I'll choose between the two top vote getters the old fashioned way : flip a coin. Better that than sending the matter to the U.S. Supreme Court.

- Next month I'll go back to the one-choice mode of voting.

- From then on, I'm not going to fiddle with the polls, since there's nothing else I can fiddle with. Feel free to discuss the mechanics of voting, but it's all academic, since I don't have any ability to change anything.

Cheers.

Edited by Jim Besser

I know it's tough to focus on new tunes when the weather is sultry and the beach beckons...

Indeed. I am ashamed to note that it has been three weeks since I last checked in on concertina.net. So I just did the "null vote" thing. I'm glad to see Jim wasn't forced to flip a coin (one never knows whether the coin will land in an inaccessible place, being lost to one's personal finances and the economy at large).

"The Abbess" is a tune that was unfamiliar to me until today, reading this thread. So I guess I've got some work to do before I'm ready to upload anything.