Poll: Tune Of The Month For August, 2013

Jim Besser

Tune of the Month, August 2013  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know it's tough to focus on new tunes when the weather is sultry and the beach beckons, but we have a job to do, and so here are some cool choices for the August Tune of the Month.

As an experiment, I've enabled multiple choices in voting. Pick your top two and let's see if that makes the poll more interesting!

I'll post dots when we have a winner.

Remember, if you hit "view results (null vote), the system will recognize this as an abstention, and you won't be able to vote. So be sure to make your choices before viewing results.

Over the Waterfall

First for your consideration, a classic oldtime American fiddle tune, no doubt with antecedents the British isles. Played at dance speed, it has a great pulse to it. I've also heard it played slow and sweet. On this side of the pond, it's a staple at square and contra dances, and in the Appalachian Mountains near me you'll often see cloggers dancing to it. There's a lot you can do with this tune, trust me!

This tune always sounds good on banjos and fiddles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RRjs5v7dGE

Lest you think it's only American oldtime bands that play this, take a listen to Anahata's nice melodeon version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge74xUqClQY

Old Molly Oxford

I have been remiss in not offering Morris tunes in these TOTM polls, so here's one of my favorites – one that I rarely get to play. Play it like you'd play for guys and gals with hankies and bells - or give it your own interpretation.

Here's our own Peter T playing this great tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKZHUWznlMY

And another c.netter has recorded this lovely version with a very different feel to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J5F6zalCyk

And Anahata once again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8alhcFYFPM

The Abbess

An absolutely gorgeous tune by melodeonist extraordinaire Andy Cutting, composer of so many fantastic tunes, and offered here with his kind permission.

Here's a pretty version with two melodeons. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlIt-DZqfh4

And another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1ytDwuTkeI

The Wonder Hornpipe

In response to several requests, it's back up for your consideration.

I first heard Jody Kruskal play this for a bunch of sword dancers and was immediately captivated. It's the catchy B part that really makes it. Apparently it's an English tune but it's found its way into some Irish sessions.

On melodeon and guitar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-PMzeNssIk

That's it. Take a listen, search your music libraries for more versions and vote!

Edited by Jim Besser

Yum, like them all.

Anyone know another (UK perhaps) name for the Waterfall ... I'm sure that I know it from somewhere. (edited to add: II know "The Dark Haried Girl dressedin Blue which Anahata

plays after the waterfall, and that's quite similar, probably what I was thinking of).

Chris

Edited by spindizzy

Old Molly Oxford

I have been remiss in not offering Morris tunes in these TOTM polls, so here's one of my favorites – one that I rarely get to play. Play it like you'd play for guys and gals with hankies and bells - or give it your own interpretation.

Not completely true as the Wonder Hornpipe is the tune used for the Lively Jig (an unusual 4 man dance) from Ilmington.

Graham

Not completely true as the Wonder Hornpipe is the tune used for the Lively Jig (an unusual 4 man dance) from Ilmington.

Graham

Cool. I used to play for a side in the US that danced Ilmington, but don't know that dance.

Sorry, quite off topic but since Ilmington have been mentioned here is a video featuring Hammersmith Morris demonstrating a simplified version of the Ilmington dance 'Jubilee' performed for Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. This video is responsible for making me learn to play Oyster Girl with a lot of bounce!

Sorry, quite off topic but since Ilmington have been mentioned here is a video featuring Hammersmith Morris demonstrating a simplified version of the Ilmington dance 'Jubilee' performed for Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. This video is responsible for making me learn to play Oyster Girl with a lot of bounce!

A funny story: my old Morris side danced both Sherborne and Ilmington, and the dancers had a hard time remembering which was which. The solution: they made me a reversible vest. Solid side out for Sherborne, patterned side for Ilmington. The visual cue worked like a charm.

i rather suspect that the "vote for your top two favourites" idea is going to throw up an imbalance. I didn't have a top two to vote for as I only fancied one of the tunes, so there was only one vote from me. I notice that 18 members at this stage have voted according to the tally at the top of the page - yielding a total of 27 votes. So clearly more than one of us has either voted for only one, or has abstained. As there is no means of recording order of preference etc, I think the results are going to be unduly skewed, although I am willing to believe my logic may be out of kilter ? Hey ho ...

Edited by Irene S

i rather suspect that the "vote for your top two favourites" idea is going to throw up an imbalance. I didn't have a top two to vote for as I only fancied one of the tunes, so there was only one vote from me. I notice that 18 members at this stage have voted according to the tally at the top of the page - yielding a total of 27 votes. So clearly more than one of us has either voted for only one, or has abstained. As there is no means of recording order of preference etc, I think the results are going to be unduly skewed, although I am willing to believe my logic may be out of kilter ? Hey ho ...

You could be right.

We'll see how this poll turns out, and if it seems skewed I'll uncheck the "multiple choice" box. THat's the only real option I have in this poll software.

I believe it can be proven mathematically that there is no system of voting that is free of anomalies/faults/whatever you want to call them... at least if there is more than one condition that it attempts to satisfy. I.e., for any set of rules that works in your favor in one situation, other situations are always possible in which those same rules will work against what you think is reasonable.

Another -- but not necessarily unrelated -- problem is that it's impossible to define a voting system which everyone will consider fair under all circumstances. E.g., in the current poll setup do you think that if you only have one favorite, you should be allowed to vote for it twice instead of only once? Or if it's a "vote for your one favorite" and you like two equally, should you be allowed to give half a vote to each? In the current poll, you can vote for either two tunes or one, but if you vote for two it's not possible give greater weight (a "stronger" vote) to one than the other. I doubt that it's possible to get consensus on things like that.

I think some of us might consider each of the above to be "unfair". Jim B. has already changed the poll from a "choose one (or none)" to a "choose two (or fewer)". Are we now going to suggest that he change it again and yet again?

I think that worrying that the polling setup "skews" results is taking the whole concept too seriously, especially since this isn't a once-in-a lifetime choice, but new each month. I feel that we should be glad for what we have and enjoy it. Besides, if you have intense feelings about a particular tune, you can always start your own thread to encourage folks to give their interpretations of that tune in addition to the "Tune of the Month". Yes, indeed. :)

Edited by JimLucas

I believe, that system proven to be most fair is one that is based on arranging whole list in order. But since TOTM is not obligatory, there are no podiums or prizes for best performance, and finding notes for tunes that didn't win isn't hard at all it realy doesn't matter much for me, if particular tune won. I've learned "parsons..." dropped out "la luna...", was happy that "roslin castle" won [still working on it], voted for "old molly" and will learn any other tune, that I'll find interesting even if it were last in the results. For me, TOTM is great because of two things - it gives opportunity to learn something collectively and compare renditions, but also is a kind of "guide" through tunes worth learning. Especially for someone like me, who doesn't know, listen or play much folk music.

I believe it can be proven mathematically that there is no system of voting that is free of anomalies/faults/whatever you want to call them... ......

I think that worrying that the polling setup "skews" results is taking the whole concept too seriously, especially since this isn't a once-in-a lifetime choice, but new each month.

Hi Jim

Re point one, I totally agree that no matter what system there's bound to be some anomaly ...

As to the matter of "worrying " about the potential skew on the results ... hmmm, take your ease, I'm not. (The comments were made on a point of interest and observation). I'm still waiting to get going on the first two tunes of the month which I haven't got round to. I didn't like any at all one month, so probably won't bother with that one ... and I know which one I like this month. In fact I'd done some work on it a few months ago before this poll came up, so will probably return to it and soldier on with it no matter what the outcome is ! ;)

Fascinating. Over the Waterfall is one of the first fiddle tunes I ever became aware of - I heard it from Don McLean in a set with Arkansaw Traveller on one of his early records. Because of your amazing selection, Jim, it only came out third on my list though. Well, that makes it a chance of 75% that one of my favs is going to make it! :-) Now I finally gotta wrap up Roslynne Castle to clear my mind for whichever feast is to come! :-)

Fascinating. Over the Waterfall is one of the first fiddle tunes I ever became aware of - I heard it from Don McLean in a set with Arkansaw Traveller on one of his early records. Because of your amazing selection, Jim, it only came out third on my list though. Well, that makes it a chance of 75% that one of my favs is going to make it! :-) Now I finally gotta wrap up Roslynne Castle to clear my mind for whichever feast is to come! :-)

Really interesting how close the voting is this month!