Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend 2013

As usual this event takes place in Bradfield & Dungworth,Sheffield,South Yorkshire.Here is an outline on whats on

Thursday 18th July 8.00pm Royal Hotel,Dungworth session hosted by the Royal Concertina Players with guests including many well known concertina players of all systems and nationally known singers from throughout the UK & Ireland

Friday 19th July Lunchtime Session The Nags Head,Loxley with Pie & Peas and a pint for £6

Saturday and Sunday lunchtime and evenings sessions in local pubs with a dance in Dungworth Village Hall with The Brackenrigg Dance band lead by concertina player Geoff Wright.

Talks by Paul & Liz Davenport on songs collected locally,workshop by Roger Digby(anglo)and Liz Giddings on "The Tunes of Lucy Farr,talk by Geoff Crabb including a talk on lever makng to include a demonstration,Kelham Island Discs with Roger Digby,Mike Hebbert(Jeffries Duet)Anni Dearman and Martyn Clarke.Tickets for the weekend cost £20 to C.net ,members(usual price £25) to include attendance at all events and camping(caravans and campavans welcome.).For further details email me on:-

edeophone@aol.com

Geoff Crabb will be giving an talk on lever making with a practical demonstration on Saturday morning and on Sunday will be just talking about concertinas.For anyone who has not met Geoff I can assure you talking to him is fascinating.Email me if you want attend the weekend and simply pay on arrival

This little festival is more fun than the average English person can tolerate.

What with the lovely weather and so many great players in Bradfield this weekend there will probably be enough fun to make the British positively suicidal.

What with the lovely weather and so many great players in Bradfield this weekend there will probably be enough fun to make the British positively suicidal.

don't forget the Beer

The pies are great ,but too much for my petite stomach

Great Session last night at The Royal Hotel.Concertina players in attendance were Geoff Wright(Anglo & English)Brain Bull(English)Deborah Matthews(Anglo)Roger Digby(Anglo)Me (Anglo)James Boorer(Crane Duet)and a lady from Bradford whose name escapes me(English).Lots more players arriving today.If anyone wants to attend the weekend there is plenty of space for tents,caravans and campavans.Just turn up and pay me on arrival.

Just got home from my first ever Bradfield weekend. I had a smashing time, someone described Saturday night's pub session as their 'idea of Heaven' and I agree. A well controlled mix of song and music, nice to hear some fine Boer style playing and some songs telling riveting stories that kept you on the edge of your seat. The Claque were pure class. An interesting talk by Richard Davenport concerning the little known Gatty collection of Yorkshire songs, and a fascinating discussion by Geoff Crabb and several others concerning all sorts of concertina related things. And someone who knows what they're doing was kind enough to take the end off my new concertina and show me the insides, and give me some advice about some small adjustments it needs. The atmosphere was of people being friendly and having fun.

Thanks to Mark and Joan for being so helpful, and for organising the event. It's definitely on next year's 'must go' list.

Joy

Edited by Spectacled Warbler

I'll second that, Joy (and nice to meet you over the weekend, really enjoyed your playing). Interesting events, great musicians, great sessions - thanks Mark and Joan.

Pippa

A great weekend, although "heatwave" apparently means something different in Yorkshire. Concertinas definitely ruled the sessions in the Royal, followed by a few melodeons, a couple of fiddles and a few flutes. As a result I found myself trying a lot of tunes on 'tina which I would usually play on melodeon, which was good for me. Although this session is chiefly for tunes, there was also just the right balance of songs.

Geoff Crabb's talks were as usual fascinating. I had to make a difficult choice between his lever-making demo or learning some new tunes from Roger Digby and Liz Giddings, but I managed to catch the end of it.. Given the number of parts and complexity of the individual components of a concertina, not to mention the range of special tools and jigs required to make them, I'm even more impressed by the skill and patience of the people who build them.

The Claque were pure class...... An interesting talk by Richard Davenport concerning the little known Gatty collection of Yorkshire songs,

The Claque always are pure class!

And I presume that Paul sent his little known brother Richard along ?? ;)

Sorry I missed the weekend this year ... but it's on my list to return to next year.

Glad to hear that it went well.

Many thanks to Mark & Joan for all their hard work in organising such a cracking weekend - and thanks to each and everyone all who cane and shred songs tunes and stories - I so enjoy meeting old friends and making new ones and the Bradfield 'gathering' really is the highlight of my year.

One nice little happenstance ....

I sing very very rarely these day due to big malfunctions in my 'memory department', but in one of the sessions the 'urge' came upon me. Of the many the songs I know (well, half remember), by strange chance, I chose a song I learned from a cassette recording I made from the BBC Folkweave 35 or so years ago. The song was 'Both sexes give ear to my fancy, a rare variant of 'When Adam was first created ' and was sung by Isca Fayre.
I was surprised to get a timely prompt when I lost track of a line, and found it quite spooky to find out I was sat next to one of the two members of Isca Fayre who now (unbeknownst to me) sing in the Claque. What a fluke that all those years later II chose that particular song at that particular time

I'm already looking forward to next year

Dave

PS typo in first line should read ' came and shared ' .... made me smile so I've left it in :)

Edited by Dave Prebble

Another super weekend organised by Joan and Mark and an opportunity to meet old and new friends.

As a ‘non – performer’ I appreciate the efforts of all those who entertained us so admirably at the sessions and events.

I am sure that Joan will pass on special thanks from all who attended to Julie, who normally helps Joan with the horses but also, at least on this occasion, worked extremely hard, unseen, in preparing for and clearing up after the events at the farm.

Already looking forward to next year.

Geoffrey

Catering assistant (Rolls, cutting and wrapping a speciality).

Urn attendant.

Puppy herder.

PortaLoo site reception.

Controlled speaker.

A great weekend, although "heatwave" apparently means something different in Yorkshire. Concertinas definitely ruled the sessions in the Royal, followed by a few melodeons, a couple of fiddles and a few flutes. As a result I found myself trying a lot of tunes on 'tina which I would usually play on melodeon, which was good for me. Although this session is chiefly for tunes, there was also just the right balance of songs.

Geoff Crabb's talks were as usual fascinating. I had to make a difficult choice between his lever-making demo or learning some new tunes from Roger Digby and Liz Giddings, but I managed to catch the end of it.. Given the number of parts and complexity of the individual components of a concertina, not to mention the range of special tools and jigs required to make them, I'm even more impressed by the skill and patience of the people who build them.

Howard, Heatwave? hot air perhaps, good job that Charley W. designed the concertina to be air cooled?

Dave

Only just returned from Bradfield weekend and wandering around the Dales. Many thanks to Mark and Joan for their hospitality and organisation at the weekend. As first-timers we would like to thank everyone for their wonderful singing and playing and friendly welcome.

Thank you all, Zak and Linda.

Many thanks to Mark and Joan for organising another fantastic weekend. It was lovely to meet up with old friends, make new ones and share so much good music and song. I always come away from Bradfield inspired and this year is no exception. Thanks to everyone for making it a truly memorable weekend.