Runners Up Forum

Jim Besser

I hear ya; a bunch of TOTM devotees, disappointed at the poll results, want to work on tunes that didn't win the popularity contest.

Have at it; to keep things clean, how about posting your video and audio recordings - and the ensuing discussions - here.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds OK to me, the speed etc. Dépends if you need to play it for slow clog dancing or for the Hornpipe section of of an Irish Set.

I usually play this tune in Bb.. the original key I think, and I will try to make a recording this coming week , if I am well enough.

Geoff.

Sounds OK to me, the speed etc. Dépends if you need to play it for slow clog dancing or for the Hornpipe section of of an Irish Set.

I usually play this tune in Bb.. the original key I think, and I will try to make a recording this coming week , if I am well enough.

Geoff.

Is it a fairly new tune, do you know? It seems modern. (All new to me!)

And here's my efforts using Garage Band' software:

https://soundcloud.com/moonsagotunes/wonder-hornpipe-gb

Uses the same concertina recording.

That sounds like a lot of fun!

Are you playing along with the 'band' or are you adding the band tracks in afterwards?

As a non-Apple person, please tell me what you had to do to make this recording, and what hardware/software would be needed.

Thanks in advance,

Don.

And here's my efforts using Garage Band' software:https://soundcloud.com/moonsagotunes/wonder-hornpipe-gb

That sounds like a lot of fun!Are you playing along with the 'band' or are you adding the band tracks in afterwards?As a non-Apple person, please tell me what you had to do to make this recording, and what hardware/software would be needed.Thanks in advance,Don.
I'll come back later with more of a reply, but for now, the short answer is:

1.) I made a .mp3 as usual -- which is the original concertina file with Wonder Hornpipe as a single-line melody, with nothing else. (As far as I know, any typical .mp3 file will be compatible with Garage Band. -- I recorded using a Sony voice recorder, edited using Audacity, converted to Mp3 using yet another program, though Audacity could have done that, too.)

2.) I opened the Garage Band program that's on my Mac Mini (came with it) -- it's Garage Band '08. I may update it sometime, but I just started figuring it out and haven't been sure if I want to. Clicked 'create new track' or whatever, and onto the track, 'dragged & dropped' the MP3. Created more tracks to add stuff, which in my case is so far all done by using a little midi keyboard (very small, maybe 13 inches) that plugs into the computer. The midi 'piano' is an AKAI LPK25. Pressed piano keys translate into whatever sounds you have chosen for them -- drums, bass, etc..

I played back the concertina track and at the same time recorded a new track (then another). When done, you just click to export it, etc., etc.... I'm going to stop there for now....

I assume that a more current version of GB would likewise also allow drag/drop of MP3s, but I haven't been able to get anyone with a newer version to actually give it a try for me and let me know (I've tried!).

For the record, I am very uninformed when it comes to technology. So, if I sound kinda bumbling.... it's because I am!

My Mac mini doesn't even have internet anymore. I use Bluetooth to send stuff to my phone, or I go use my husband's computer and a flash drive, and so on.

Edited by bellowbelle

Geoff.

Is it a fairly new tune, do you know? It seems modern. (All new to me!)

Uses the same concertina recording.

No, not a modern tune.

I think the version that I started with came from "Kerr's First Collection of Merry Mélodies for the Violin" which I have had for 40 years ( and paid 30 pence for) which is an old scottish publication... at least in the style of the type set and general presentation I would date it as from the same period as Ryan's Mammoth Collection (Cole's 1000 fiddle tunes) or O'Neill's dance music of Ireland.

To my ear the Wonder Hornpipe is related to 'The Bee's Wing" and other hornpipes of that genre from the hand of James Hill who was a proffesional Tune Smith living on Tyneside in the first half of the 19th century.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Are you playing along with the 'band' or are you adding the band tracks in afterwards?

As a non-Apple person, please tell me what you had to do to make this recording, and what hardware/software would be needed.

Thanks in advance,

Don.

You can do a lot of this just using Audacity if you're a windows person (ie record stuff and add tracks to it.

It's what I used to make the duet for Roslyn castle )

Audacity is free and a really excellent editor for sound recordings. I most use it inLinux, but it's available for many other OS's and certainly works nicely in windows (I've tried it from XP to 8)

Chris

Google "James Hill" or go to www.peterloud.co.uk a usefull resource of tunes from N.E. England.

Thanks, will check that out!

Thanks in advance,

Don.

You can do a lot of this just using Audacity if you're a windows person (ie record stuff and add tracks to it.

It's what I used to make the duet for Roslyn castle )

Audacity is free and a really excellent editor for sound recordings. I most use it inLinux, but it's available for many other OS's and certainly works nicely in windows (I've tried it from XP to 8)

Chris

Yes, I forgot to say more about Audacity... It's only for Windows, I think (?), and I have it on a windows laptop (which also doesn't connect to the internet). I use a combination of machines, relying much on a flashdrive and bluetooth!

Personally, I've had better luck figuring out how to do my recording using Garage Band than with Audacity, so I don't know how easy it is to (accurately) combine tracks with Audacity, but obviously, it can be done!

• 1 month later...