Tune Of The Month For July 2013: Roslyn Castle

Jim Besser

And we have a winner: for July we'll be learning, recording and posting the lovely Scottish tune Roslyn (or Roslin, or Rosslyn) Castle. Or the House of Glamis, if you prefer. What is it with tune names?

I've heard this tune for years in countless versions - fast, slow and in between, as a slow air and as a march.

First, the dots.

Here's a link to a PDF of the beautiful version played by Danny Chapman, in Dm, and a video of Danny playing it with a harpist, here. I tell you, he's set the bar high for all of us.

Another somewhat trilly version here in Em. Both ABCs and standard notation.

Here's an ABC version in Dm from The Session; the PDF of this version is attached.

X: 1
T: Roslyn Castle
R: reel
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
K: Dmin
FE | "Dm"D2A>B A2GA | "Bb"BAGF "A"E2F>E |
"Dm"D2d>e f2ed | "A"^cdec "Dm"A2FG |
"Bb"BAGF "A"E2FG | "Dm"AFED "A"^c2de |
"Dm"fde^c dAGA | FD E>D D2 :|
A2 | "Dm"d2de f2ed | a>gfg "A"e2d^c |
"Dm"dAde f2ed | agfg "A"e2GA |
"Bb"BAGF "A"E2FG | "Dm"AFED "A"^c2de |
"Dm"fde^c dAGA | FD E>D D2 :|

Want to see more? Take your pick.

Here's the oddest version so far.
If you're on Spotify, search on the name and you'll find a lot of versions, mostly on harp.
There you have it. Remember, perfection is not expected. And obviously there's no "right" way to play this tune. The idea is to have fun, get feedback and hone our skills.

roslyn castle Dm Session.pdf

Edited by Jim Besser

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really love the Scottish fiddler Alasdair Fraser's version on his Return to Kintail CD, and I couldn't resist doing what he does - pairing Roslin Castle (his spelling) with Miss Gordon of Gight.

Being a Morris, ceilidh and contra dance player, I've had little experience with slow airs; I just don't have the light touch, and I can't seem to play them slow enough. I'm far from satisfied with this first stab at the tune; it lacks the smoothness I was seeking, and the chording is weak. So it'll take more work. I want to try it in Dm to see how it changes the texture of the tune.

Played on a 31 button G/D Jeffries.

Edited by Jim Besser

I really love the Scottish fiddler Alasdair Fraser's version on his Return to Kintail CD, and I couldn't resist doing what he does - pairing Roslin Castle (his spelling) with Miss Gordon of Gight.
Being a Morris, ceilidh and contra dance player, I've had little experience with slow airs; I just don't have the light touch, and I can't seem to play them slow enough. I'm far from satisfied with this first stab at the tune; it lacks the smoothness I was seeking, and the chording is weak. So it'll take more work. I want to try it in Dm to see how it changes the texture of the tune.
Played on a 31 button G/D Jeffries.

Well, at least it's interesting (and appealing in its own way) to hear the air played in that bouncy rhythm of a dance tune! Definitely adds something...

And, spirited playing of Miss Gordon as for me...

Here's a link to a PDF of the beautiful version played by Danny Chapman, in Dm, and a video of Danny playing it with a harpist, here. I tell you, he's set the bar high for all of us.

and Old Molly Oxford is a lovely tune too.

and Old Molly Oxford is a lovely tune too.

You can bet Old Molly will be on a poll in the months to come....

I agree with that, and this is actually why I didn't vote for this one !

Hard to compete with Dan in the slow air category.

Or one should try in a completely different style, and for the moment I don't see.

Anyway it will be a difficult challenge, and I hope to end up to something by the end of the month.

Didn't vote for the winner (nor for the runner up), but learned to liike that tune in the meantime.

So here's my first rough take, just single line melody. My second version will include chords on the second run, whereas the third will have just the single line again (planned this for Boda Waltz already but didn't manage to record it as yet).

Can anyone help...........I'm trying to convert the tune to Bm ( so I can play it on the D row of my anglo) but from this thread, I cannot get the abc notation to convert either on the C.net converter or the Mandolin converter. Only the title and "reel' comes up; nothing else.

Probably a glitch on my laptop but could someone post a pdf in Bm ?

Many thanks

Robin

You guys are SO quick and helpful...............and when I really meant Em !!

Sorry 'bout that...............brain glitch.

In the meantime I've found a couple of pdf's with ornaments and a 2nd part.

Also attached is Lovesick Polly, the second tune that John Townsend plays with this tune on his album

There is also a second part for Roslin Castle published Derek Hobbs Pipers companion (Vol VII) Wild Hills of Wannies that looks interesting.

Robin

post-250-0-48406900-1372860785_thumb.jpg

post-250-0-69305200-1372878612_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin Harrison

I have a couple of versions of it, and some associated stories, in my collection of music relating to the Edinburgh area:

http://www.campin.me.uk/Embro/Webrelease/Embro/12clubs/12clubs.htm

I really dislike what Fraser did to it. No earlier version uses weird keys - it was originally for the flute, in E minor. And "Miss Gordon of Gight", which he played as a companion piece, was clearly intended at the time it was written to be an all-out reel, taken at manic speed. Instead, thanks to Fraser, we get doomy draggy renderings these days that entirely miss the point.

we get doomy draggy renderings these days that entirely miss the point.

* As for you, is this forum just meant for staging insults?

* If you would please be so kind to elucidate "the" point?

* Might we expect a proper rendition of yours then?

(I apologize in advance in the case of having mistaken your input)

IMO music should be about enjoyment of life...

Perhaps you missed the point? I think what Jack was saying is the the version he was referring to did not move him. And he told us why. I didn't see an insult, just an expression of opinion. Though now it might be me that is mistaking the input :)

Perhaps you missed the point? I think what Jack was saying is the the version he was referring to did not move him. And he told us why. I didn't see an insult, just an expression of opinion. Though now it might be me that is mistaking the input :)

I don't debate on somebody's opion or impression. As far as I'm concerned it's all about the addtional referring to (again: if I'm not mistaken) current TOTM renditions (and there are just two of them up to now).

I really try not to spend too much time on my computer and so the face book etc isn't my thing and much as I enjoy and benefit from C.net, I didn't look at the TOTM thread until a week ago. Just one more thing to do .........

I think I'm hooked now. Really enjoyed hearing other peoples instruments and playing and discussion carried out with the usual C.net courtesy.

So here's my first contribution

https://soundcloud.com/the-harry-robinson/roslin-castle-treble-baritone

I was using a Zoom H2N and then recorded the 2nd part listening to the 1st part through computer speakers which were somewhat drowned by the Baritone so it's all a bit rough.

The arrangement is from the book I mentioned above, Pipers companion (Vol VII).

I don't think it's been mentioned before; I found this info about the tune on a YouTube video played on a gamba.

"Air from McGibbon's 2nd col. (1746) and Oswald's Caledonian Pocket Companion vol. IV (1752)."

Robin

I really try not to spend too much time on my computer and so the face book etc isn't my thing and much as I enjoy and benefit from C.net, I didn't look at the TOTM thread until a week ago. Just one more thing to do .........

I think I'm hooked now. Really enjoyed hearing other peoples instruments and playing and discussion carried out with the usual C.net courtesy.

So here's my first contribution

https://soundcloud.com/the-harry-robinson/roslin-castle-treble-baritone

I was using a Zoom H2N and then recorded the 2nd part listening to the 1st part through computer speakers which were somewhat drowned by the Baritone so it's all a bit rough.

The arrangement is from the book I mentioned above, Pipers companion (Vol VII).

I don't think it's been mentioned before; I found this info about the tune on a YouTube video played on a gamba.

"Air from McGibbon's 2nd col. (1746) and Oswald's Caledonian Pocket Companion vol. IV (1752)."

Robin

Wonderful harmonies, Robin. I'm actually planning on buying a Zoom H2n this week (or an H4n, haven't decided yet) and may try something similar. When playing with others, I'm weak on harmony playing, and it's something I want to work on.

And glad you're hooked on the TOTM.