Poll: Tune Of The Month For July

Jim Besser

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is it almost July?

Time, then, to think about a new tune to learn. Here are three tasty tunes from different musical genres; take a listen and vote on which you'd like to learn.

As always, remember that there's no "right" way to play any of these tunes (as you'll see, there's not even a "right way to spell some of the names.) Do what's fun for you. One of the joys of the TOTM is hearing all the really cool things C.netters can do with a tune.

And as always, remember that this is a learning experience for all of us. Beginners are welcome; mistakes are expected; failed experiments can still be educational (for players and viewers/listeners alike). So don't be shy.

In deference to the non-ABCers out there, I'm attempting to either upload PDFs or provide links to standard notation. When we have a winner, I will provide both formats - except in certain cases, as noted below.

The Wonder Hornpipe:

I first heard Jody Kruskal play this for a bunch of sword dancers and was immediately captivated by the tune. It's the B part that really makes it. Apparently it's an English tune, but it's found its way into some Irish sessions.

Here's a nice version, albeit without concertina.

Check out the ABCs and standard notation here.

For you ABCers, here's one version.

X: 225

T:Wonder Hornpipe

R:Hornpipe

M:4/4

L:1/8

K:G

(3DEF|"G"GdBG "D7"FcAF|"G" (3GFG BG D2GF|"C"EGAB cBAG|"D7" (3FED d^c ed (3=cBA|

"G"GdBG "D7"FcAF|"G" (3GFG BG D2GF|"C"Eedc "D7"BADF|"G"AGGF G2:|

AG|"D"FAd^c d2AG|FAd^c dfed|"A7" (3B^cd ef gece|"D"d^cde d2=c2|

"B7"B3A "E7"^GBe2|"A7"A3G "D7"FAd2|"C" (3efg fe "D7" (3ded (3=cBA|"G"G2 (3AGF G2:|

Roslyn Castle, or the House of Glamis

This came from the "Suggestions for TOTM tunes" thread, and it's a great one that I've heard many times over the years but never played. I've seen it spelled Roslyn, Rosslyn, Roslin...whatever, it's a great tune.

I believe it is a Scottish pipe tune, but I could be wrong. Alasdair Fraser plays a mesmerizing version on his CD "Return to Kintail."

Here's one version; I know there are more concertina versions on YouTube but haven't had the time to do an extensive search. Can someone help?

ABCs and standard notation here.

The ABCs for one version:

X: 1

T: Roslyn Castle

T: The House of Glamis

O: Pastoral Pipe Tune, 18th c

N: Highland Whisky handwritten ms.

Z: John Chambers <jc:trillian.mit.edu>

M: C

L: 1/8

K: Em

GF \

| "Em"E2Bc B2AG | "©"cBAG "D"F2GF | "Em"E2ef g2fe | "D"defd "B(m)"B2AB | "Am"cBAG "B(m)"F2GA |

| "Em"BGFE "D"d2ef | "C"gefd "Bm"eBAB | "B7"G2F2 "Em"E2 :: zB | "Em"edef g2fg | baga "D"f2ed |

| "Em"edef g2fg | baga "D"f2 AB | "C"cBAG "B(m)"F2GA | "Em"BGFE "D"d2ef | "C"gefd "Bm"eBAB | "B7"G2F2 "Em"E2 :|

Autumn Leaves

This jazz/pop standard was another suggestion from the TOTM thread, and it's really fun to play. I picked it up quickly on Anglo, and I know some English players do absolutely beautiful versions. Play it fast, play it slow, swing it, don't swing it - there are countless ways to play this tune, all of them fun.

I'm not sure of the legality of posting notation for a copyrighted song, so I'll leave it to you to find dots - just Google "Autumn Leaves" and "Notation" and you'll find a bunch.

Here's the great Nat King Cole singing it.

And here's a very uptempo acoustic version.
Edited by Jim Besser

The Wonder Hornpipe:

A tune from the NE (UK) I believe and a favourite. Not really common, but comes along every now again in English sessions. Heard played with varying amounts of swing as you fancy.

None of them floats my boat (as concertina tunes).

You want maybe a sea shanty? (In particular, a pumping shanty, to make sure your boat remains afloat?) ;)

But to be serious, I'd like to hear what some of your own suggestions might be.

Might be more statistically accurate to have a "none of the above" option....

Or write-in votes? But the forum software doesn't support that in polls, which I guess is why we have a thread soliciting suggestions.

On the other hand, could just adding "none of the above" as an option possibly result in a month without a "tune of the month"? That would be interesting.

I sat the last one down, but I'm going to make my version of Roslin Castle whether it'll be next TOTM or not :) I have a very confusing feeling, that I know this tune from some modern arrangement but I cannot remember when and where this might be... Probably as a solo part of some shanty-polo or folk-rock, as I remember it in it's fast and lively version. Any of you know of any such use of it?

On the other hand, could just adding "none of the above" as an option possibly result in a month without a "tune of the month"? That would be interesting.

We could end up with a month where the TOTM is John Cage's 4'33'' - the full three-movement version of course.

We could end up with a month where the TOTM is John Cage's 4'33'' - the full three-movement version of course.

...and will have to particularly carefully ensure that the chording/accompaniment won't drown the melody... :D

One of the problems with this poll is that I can't change my vote once it's clear that my first choice can't win. This isn't a national political election, I think everyone should have a second bite at the cherry once it's clear that the first choice is a no-hoper.

One of the problems with this poll is that I can't change my vote once it's clear that my first choice can't win. This isn't a national political election, I think everyone should have a second bite at the cherry once it's clear that the first choice is a no-hoper.

I went through the configuration menus for the poll, and don't see any way to do what you suggest. Apparently it was designed to be very simple (for which I am grateful) and tamper proof.

Ratface has a faster-flavored version on his site.

English concertina maestro, Dave Townsend, plays a nice version of this tune on his CD, "Portrait of Concertina". Worth a listen if any one has a copy of this CD.

Chris

Edited by Chris Drinkwater

I was voted "Most truculent" by my graduating class.

I hav a tattoo of Mike Tyson on my face.

And I believe i'm the ONLY squeezer on the boards to have a WARNING POINT! against me.

So here's the deal: although I backed a losing horse, I'm willing to post my version of Wonder Hornpipe this month.

I can tell you who wrote it and give a reliable source,

and if you want, Jim, I could play it on your old square Harold Harrington box.

Take it or leave it. No skin off my nose. I could care less. Don't tread on me.

etc. etc. etc.