Noite De Veran

hammeringal

[in] Cantabria - when I asked a local what their regional music was, I was told "disco" :(

For some years now the Poles have had their own disco-rock genre which they call "Disco Polo" (though "polo" doesn't actually mean "Polish" in Polish). And now that some groups are adding a rock flavor to shanties (shanties are big in Poland; I've sung to audiences of 10,000 in Gizycko, a resort town in the Polish lake district), they're calling the crossover "Shanty Polo".

For some years now the Poles have had their own disco-rock genre which they call "Disco Polo" (though "polo" doesn't actually mean "Polish" in Polish). And now that some groups are adding a rock flavor to shanties (shanties are big in Poland; I've sung to audiences of 10,000 in Gizycko, a resort town in the Polish lake district), they're calling the crossover "Shanty Polo".

Disco Polo was popular mainly in rural and small-town communities whereas it would be ignored or mentioned with embarassment rather than with acceptance in bigger cities. Generally, the bigger a city or the higher an education of a person, the less popular this genre would be. And also, interestingly enough, it's quite an opposite with a traditional Polish folk music.

Thankfully, it seems that these days the whole "Disco Polo" fad has disappeared in the musical past best left forgotten.

And yes - shanties are big in Poland - not as big as in the 80s or beginning of the 90s, but still popular. Hopefully, they still will be for years to come!

• 1 year later...

One year later....

As you say: "O insonio dunha noite de verán" composed by A. Seoane

means "The insomnia of a summer's night"

Sorry for not having help in this matter, but i only check the forums from time to time, and today i found this treat by luck and i was really surprised with all the comments.

What happens in galician language is that up to 80´s, we didn´t have a "standard" writing language. Some people write "insonio" some others "insomnio"...

"Verán" is the same, officialy is "verán", but sometimes people write "vran", "verao", .... More close to spoken language.

As you say in the previous replies, it is very close to portuguese, really in XIV it was the same language.

All the best,

Félix