Ica Uk-Japanese Music Exchange, 30Th June, Lewes, Uk

The International Concertina Association invites you to a:

UK-Japanese Music Exchange

English Concertina player and teacher Miyuki Miura is visiting the UK in June with other Japanese musicians. Come along, share some tunes and hear Miyuki and upright bass player Mao Yamada perform both Japanese songs and original music from the stunning new CD Almandine.

Sunday 30th June 2013, 1.30 - 6.30 p.m. (Lunch is available in the pub from noon)
Elephant & Castle,
White Hill,
Lewes
BN7 2DJ
For bookings and enquiries please email librarian@concertina.org
The ICA is grateful for the support of Lewes Saturday Folk Club and Concertinas Anonymous

post-7661-0-78606400-1370418091_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ex Libris

• 3 weeks later...

We're all looking forward to this and some interesting players are coming. The suggested timetable looks like this:

12.30 meet in the pub for lunch
1.30 introductions
1.45 music exchange - share some dots to play together / party pieces
5.30 Miyuki concert (30-40 mins)
6.15 Goodbyes
7.20 train to London (twenty past each hour - approx 1 hour 6 mins journey time)

Thanks very much to Valmai and Bryan Creer for helping the ICA organise this exciting event in Lewes this weekend. Below is a slightly revised timetable if you think that you will be around in Lewes area on Sunday afternoon and fancy meeting Miho Tohmatsu (of Toyko duo Mipo Macky), Miyuki Miura and double bass player Mao Yamada perform "Almandine", Miyuki's latest composition and CD. Other Japanese concertina players and musicians will be joining them too.

1.30 Introductions
1.45 - 3.15 Miyuki Part 1 (Japanese songs) + Q&A session about concertina playing and music in Japan + tune swapping
3.15 Coffee / beer
3.35 - 4.45 More tune swapping and if people want to play their 'party pieces'
4.45 short break / beer
5.00 - 5.30 Miyuki Part 2 (Performance of Alamadine composition with double bass player )
5.30- 6.30 Final tunes, photographs etc.
Hoping to see a few of you on Sunday.
Jeremy
  • Like 1

It sounds interesting, but the one thing I can't glean from any of that is whether this is a free entry event, or whether there is a charge. The flyer doesn't give any indication. I would consider coming but without that information am uncertain. I tried accessing the ICA website for more information, only to find that it told me that Access was Denied, and I was not allowed to view it! Any chance you could confirm costs if there are any?

Edited by Irene S

That was a wonderful event. It was very special to meet and share music with our new Japanese friends; Miyuki's playing is magnificent and she's a delightful and jolly lady. I hope this will lead to more visits. Many thanks to Jeremy Hague of the ICA for being brave enough to organise it all.

I too had the pleasure of hearing and seeing this lovely lady, Miyuki play english concertina at Lewes yesterday. I echo Valmai`s comments. Miyuki`s playing of variations of "Greensleeves" being especially delightful.

Thanks to Jeremy.

Zak.