Kautilia

Peter has been suspicously quiet lately. I sent him a PM asking if he was all right a while ago and got no reply so left it until the ' Swaledale Squeeze' to catch up with him. Sadly there I learnt he was dead. He was a great Swaledale fan. I enjoyed meeting him at Brightlingsea and am sad that I will never share a beer with him again.

Pancreatic cancer, apparently; takes no prisoners. Poor old Peter. I thought eveyone would want to know.

Thanks for this, sad news though it is. I never met him, but felt a part of his circle by his frequent posts. This is an amazing fellowship.

Speaking of which, Dirge, I hadn't seen any posts from you for a while, and was beginning to wonder. You heavyweight boxers have to keep up appearances (literally) or folks will begin to wonder.

Maybe c.net needs an In Memoriam section?

I am stunned. Pete was very helpful when I visited London last year and made me feel quite welcome (along with Chris D) at the pub sessions I attended. I had noticed his absence as well, but was afraid to ask. Though it was only a year ago, there are now two folks I met at the session at the Horseshoe Inn that I knew previously over the internet that have now passed, the other being Doug Adams, the melodeon player.

He had been quite a unique person, just to be told from his postings (which I evidently being a non-native English speaker at times did not realise in their entirety but always enjoyed), and will be sadly missed among us!

R.I.P., Peter...

He had been quite a unique person, just to be told from his postings (which I evidently being a non-native English speaker at times did not realise in their entirety but always enjoyed), and will be sadly missed among us!

R.I.P., Peter...

Don't worry Wolf,

you are not the only one who did not understand Kautilia's posts sometimes..... very sad news indeed................

Edited by Geoff Wooff

This is very sad news. I never met Kautilya in person, but when I suspected the existence of a rare Dutch music publication from around 1800 in the British Library, he most generously went there to check things out for me. We even talked about this find over the phone (the front page was lacking and the order of the pages was all mixed up, making it hard to decide what exactly we had found.) I’ll admit that I dreaded getting him on the phone, given his linguistic acrobatics on C-net, as mentioned above. But all went well and as it turned out, through his mediation we had uncovered a bit of Dutch musical history that was supposedly lost forever.

Speaking of which, Dirge, I hadn't seen any posts from you for a while, and was beginning to wonder. You heavyweight boxers have to keep up appearances (literally) or folks will begin to wonder.

Sorry if i worried you Mike; I'm in England seeing the family and it's been rather fraught. I've been looking at Cnet but haven't seen anything that compelled me to remember what my password was...

I've been looking at Cnet but haven't seen anything that compelled me to remember what my password was...

Hence your retention is callable by compulsion (while mine would refuse to work at all if forced). I'd guess that's quite an advantage... B)

Like Dirge, I met Pete at Brightlingsea in 2011. On arrival he instantly volunteered to help and was as good as his word joining the team of volunteer caterers. He bought a ticket for the following year, but by then was unable to attend.

He was an asset to the concertina community and it's appropriate that that community is respectfully acknowledging his passing.

Dirge. Drop in if you're anywhere near Essex.

Very sad to hear this news,I first met Kautilia at Bradfield who was camped near to me.He often Emailed me with tune selections he thought I might like .Loved the "March of the Concertinas" and a few of my other tunes and songs.A sad loss to our concertina community.

Many thanks Dirge for letting us know .I hope your stay over here is a good one.We have met up for a few of your UK visits,please let me know if you are near Suffolk.

I never met Kautilia either although we exchanged music and concertina information both on here and by email fairly often, I didn't even know his name was Pete! I recall being perplexed by his more bizarre postings both on here and even more so over on melodeon.net but he was a mine of information albeit erratically presented. I'm am deeply saddened by his passing and would have liked to have met him for a beer and a chat. Thanks for the heads up Dirge.

Pete.

I regret I never met Kautilia and will miss his postings and insight..

It saddens me knowing one more of us is gone and all the knowledge and tradition floats away. Hopefully there are others waiting downstream to catch and take up where he left off.

rss

Thanks for letting us know, Dirge. He was a regular at the monthly French Session, at The George Inn, Southwark. The last time I saw him was at the December 2012 session, and not having seen him since then, thought something must have happened to him. I hoped his absence might be due to illness. That he is dead, is totally shocking. He certaintly was an "odball" character. Very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful; he had a marvelous singing voice.

Chris

he had a marvelous singing voice.

Chris

such sad news,he'll be much missed, we used to do the 'defence cuts budget version' of the 'Red Army Choir' at the Whitby Euro sessions, one deep bass singer and a concertina player.