For Sale: 60-Key Maccann Metal-Ended Lachenal Edeophone

Jonathan Taylor

This instrument carries the number 4018, and is in excellent condition.

It has a nice bright sound, comparable to my metal-ended tenor treble Aeola (if that helps). It has been retuned to A = 440 Hz, and the bellows are very tight, more so than aforementioned Aeola. However, there is no case except for a Stagi soft gig bag.

I'm selling this for a Swiss friend with limited knowledge of English. He originally acquired it from a Swiss accordion dealer and collector, without knowing much about concertinas or their various systems. He taught himself to play it, but always had the feeling that it was a little too "sophisticated" for him. In one of life's little coincidences last summer he met another accordion collector, who happened to have among other things a Crane duet, to which he very quickly took a liking. Hence the Maccann becoming surplus to requirements.

We're seeking to get GBP 2000 for it (incl. CNet contribution, but excl. shipping), which I hope is not unrealistic. More high-resolution photos are available if anyone's interested. If I had any interest in learning the Maccann I would buy it myself at that price.

Jonathan

post-100-0-77493500-1369173590_thumb.jpgpost-100-0-29999700-1369173606_thumb.jpgpost-100-0-25364900-1369173624_thumb.jpgpost-100-0-91129900-1369173657_thumb.jpgpost-100-0-03867300-1369173674_thumb.jpgpost-100-0-89241100-1369173687_thumb.jpgpost-100-0-45863500-1369173699_thumb.jpgpost-100-0-47718400-1369173718_thumb.jpg

Hello Jonathan,

could you confirm that the left hand keyboard has D and D# at the top left corner and a C# in the top right corner? These notes being extra to a normal 56-58 key layout.

Also, what is the 'across flats' size of this instrument please ?

Would you say the tone is sharper sounding ( more cutting) than your Aeola ,or not ?

Best regards,

Geoff.

Hello Jonathan,

could you confirm that the left hand keyboard has D and D# at the top left corner and a C# in the top right corner? These notes being extra to a normal 56-58 key layout.

Also, what is the 'across flats' size of this instrument please ?

Would you say the tone is sharper sounding ( more cutting) than your Aeola ,or not ?

Best regards,

Geoff.

Hi Geoff

No, top left are G# and G, and top right is F#. Unless I've made a mistake in checking, the layout is identical to that of the 60 button Lachenal #4083 in Robert Gaskins' chord charts, page 34 ("How to Play Chords on Any MacCann Duet concertina") on www.concertina.com.

Across flats size is 199 mm.

No, regarding the tone quality, I can't really hear any difference between the Edeophone and my TT Aeola, although I also have a treble metal-ended Aeola which is a bit brighter/sharper/more cutting than either.

Best regards

Jonathan

Many thanks for the detailed information Jonathan,

that layout is quite different to what I am used to and favours the lower note range in the left hand whilst keeping the overall size of the instrument more compact.

Geoff.