Dipper Shantyman Accordion Ebay Scam

Chris Timson

My conclusion is that anyone who knows anything at all about concertinas would have recognised this as a scam simply from the "accordion" name, given this is such a special concertina whose provenance is well known, so the "winner" would be no-one here. Hence the ludicrously low price (but still well worthwhile for the scammer). Unfortunately I was a bit slow off the mark here and didn't notify ebay until after the auction had completed.

Chris

This concertina was offered and sold through the Button Box several months ago. You would think that potential buyers would notice that supposedly the concertina is in Washington state but is being sold in British Pounds. With all the other warning flags, it's hard to not be suspicious of the listing.

Ross Schlabach

With all the other warning flags, it's hard to not be suspicious of the listing.

And yet the world is full of people (none of us, I hope) who find it difficult not to "take advantage" of any deal that seems too good to be true. B)

It is obviously a scam. This concertina is currently owned bt C.net member Torres Strait Anglo, who purchased it from the late George Salley in July 2012. See this thread. http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15428&hl=%2Bdipper+%2Bshantyman

The scammer hasn't even got George's surname right!

Chris

I confirm that I own this concertina and have it in my possession.

The photos on that listing, and the text, would seem to be copied directly from the ebay listing through which I purchased the instrument.

The ebay-generated post-auction email that confirmed my purchase was sent on the 30th of July 2012.

The person who sold it to me emailed as "Neil Connor", which is consistent with wording on an invoice from "The Button Box" that was (and still is) inside the wooden carry case.

Since 30th July 2012 the instrument has not been traded or offered for sale.

I wonder how many of the concertinas listed on craigslist (London) are scams...

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/search/?areaID=24&subAreaID=&query=concertina&catAbb=sss

I know of a couple on there that sold on eBay a while back and are still in the hands of the ones who bought them.

I certainly recognise the Edeophone as one I sold about a year ago, and several others which have been obviously cloned from eBay listings, both words and pictures. My advice would be not to touch any of them with a sterilised bargepole.

• 11 months later...

yep i sold the Dipper. Really regret it now, but times were hard. Sorry to hear of the death of Geo, he sent me some tunes and advice on playing it. Glad it has a good home down under.