Concertina "face"

...unlike any other instrument I can think of, every second note in the scale is on opposite sides of the instrument...

Though not quite as separated as the English concertina, if you consider "side" to mean either side of center, I believe the standard kalimba (African "thumb piano") alternates the notes of the scale from side to side.

Split in a different direction, the Andean pan pipes have two rows of pipes, with the notes of the scale alternating between the front and back rows. Except in the bass pipes, where the two rows are split into separate instruments. It's like having two people play a concertina... either one for each end of an English, or on a anglo one with only the push notes and the other with the pull notes. I remember one concert where the group Tahuantinsuyo started a number which suddenly sounded bizarrely discordant, and they stopped in apparent confusion. Then the bass pipers tested their instruments, swapped them, and they started afresh with an arrangement that sounded lovely. :)

To quote: "Then there's the English concertina ...  The hidden catch is that, unlike any other instrument I can think of, every second note in the scale is on opposite sides of the instrument, and is played with opposite hands.

I don't know enough about harps in general to know if this applies across the board, but I do know that the Kora (African harp) is played in a very similar way to the English in terms of the alternation between the hands up the scale.

A friend of mine who plays it also exhibits the standard vacant stare while playing. :blink:

Edited by stuart estell

As usual, Samantha is not far from the truth - why look down when playing? If you are not alone, have a look around the room while you play. Watch the audience asleep, watch the other concertina players grimace - you are guaranteed to have a smile on your face.

And if you are following other players, it is a must to look up and watch - don't just rely on ears.

You can also signal to other players if you have eye-contact - "look at him, snigger snigger".

...exhibits the standard vacant stare while playing.  :blink:

What a great idea!! :unsure: (???) An exhibit!

A photo exhibit of different musicians' blank stares. :)

Edited to add: Say Ken, can you give us a blank stare "smiley"? :P

Edited by JimLucas

As we all know concertina players are not the only ones to pull faces.

At the session last night was a banjo player playing some really fast Irish tunes.

While he was playing he seemed to "mouth" every note.

It was rather reminiscent of a bulldog chewing a wasp. <_<

Martyn

Samantha,

I like the smiling idea.

When I was taking tap dancing, yes tap dancing - think of it as a percussive instrument - anyway, the teacher said to smile when you made a mistake. That way, the audience would think that EVERYONE else was wrong.

Nice perspective.

Helen

Weeeeeellllllllllllllll see Henk,

That is why we respond to Concertina.net. So people can learn more about us.

Hee hee hee as Sharron would say. I really like that response of Sharron's and have stolen it for my own use. Thanks Sharron.

Helen

Woof woof